What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My English IPA

View attachment 90633

This is the one I hit with 8 ozs of EKG and challengers in the last 20 mins. Turned out real bitter and hoppy but the caramel malt still shows up. Pretty much what I wanted from the grain bill. I coulda dry hopped it a bit more and probably shoulda thrown some fuggle into the late hopping mix on top of the other two, but overall it turned out really nice. :mug:

Sounds good!

My "kinda sorta tastes like prima" clone. It's getting closer.....

ForumRunner_20121227_185321.png

Two Brothers Hop Juice, might not be that fresh. Like many of their beers this fits in with being malty. Its a good beer,imperials are not really my thing though,Id rather have a Resistance IPA from them really. IM more of a 6-8%IPA kinda dude. I do enjoy the imperials on ocassion though. This ones above average for an imperial,its no Palate Wreker or Hoptimum or Hopslam though. More on the sweet/malty side,nothing cloying though. Its probably what you would expect for a semi-aged imperial ipa. It does have a fruit juicy sweetness to it(earning the hopjuice name)but it maybe is not bitter enough for me-likes. I was really expecting that kind of resiny/dankness,but was juicy fruity but good/enjoyable.

Goin to Beerhunt tomarrow and visit the lhbs to brew the brew over the holiday weekend,woohoo! Gonna be fancy too.Dont drink from your shoe.Cows say moo. Good way to look forward to start the weekend broodoo. Dont get the flu. You know what to do.

Two Brothers Hop Juice, might not be that fresh. Like many of their beers this fits in with being malty. Its a good beer,imperials are not really my thing though,Id rather have a Resistance IPA from them really. IM more of a 6-8%IPA kinda dude. I do enjoy the imperials on ocassion though. This ones above average for an imperial,its no Palate Wreker or Hoptimum or Hopslam though. More on the sweet/malty side,nothing cloying though. Its probably what you would expect for a semi-aged imperial ipa.

I just had a brew a few days ago called Hop Juice but it was from Left Coast. Is there another Hop Juice out there?

I just had a brew a few days ago called Hop Juice but it was from Left Coast. Is there another Hop Juice out there?

I just counted about 10 hopjuice ipa's at Ratebeer and have a feeling there is more.:mug: All a sudden Im startin to feel a bit geeky.

Sam Adams Merry Mischief Gingerbread Stout. I don't hate it, but I think my Christmas beer is better. Using a stout as a base is not the way I would go - I would use a non-hoppy ale. Something a little sweeter, and something slightly more carbonated.

Ranger Creek small batch 4. Imperial mesquite smoke Porter aged in their own whiskey barrels. Yummmy

2011 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot.

I forgot how much I enjoyed this beer - I'll definitely have to take a crack at the Sean Paxton Dec 2012 BYO clone for next winter

Enjoying some Rodenbach after a nice dinner with the cousins. Had some cask Yards ESA and Susquehanna Stock Ale with my duck and rabbit stew.

Ummmm yeah. This pretty much kicks A$$!!!! A huge thanks again to Nordeast. He was able to get me this. Even with my cold/ sinus deal going on right now this beer is amazing. Cheers

Jealous,never had any but guess I could brew some.:rolleyes: Really odd its a midwestern beer,yet I cant get it anywhere.

Jealous,never had any but guess I could brew some.:rolleyes: Really odd its a midwestern beer,yet I cant get it anywhere.

Not wanting to rub it in, but yeah, this stuff is amazing. Amazing hop nose. At first it was like opening a sealed packet of hops. Then as it has warmed the nose has mellowed and seemed to be more in the beer. Bitterness is there, but not overwhelming. More malt than the Pliny that we have out here, but along the asme lines. Considerably different hops in it though. Cant place them. Anyone know what they are?? (Doesnt help I am getting over some type of cold)

Tröegs Impending Descent RIS. By gods if this might not be the best stout I've had. The head is so dark it's more orange than tan. Unfortunately it looks to be a one off for them. If you see this beer buy it at any cost!

On my 3rd IIPA in the last 2 hours. So good if you like in your face hoppy beer. My burps taste like a fresh opened bag of hops! Maybe it's the buzz I'm working on, but I think I'm in love...

image-2271004048.jpg

Not a very good pic, but I'm enjoying a glass of my winter ale. It's a toasty 7.7% ABV. Very yummy.

Cheers

Ummmm yeah. This pretty much kicks A$$!!!! A huge thanks again to Nordeast. He was able to get me this. Even with my cold/ sinus deal going on right now this beer is amazing. Cheers

Glad ya like it brother, it's one of the best!

Really odd its a midwestern beer,yet I cant get it anywhere.

Surly's distro is insanely small, Twin Cities metro only, and even that's a stretch. Hard to find in the outer south burbs (Brewery's north burbs) and in St. Cloud, about 40 miles away from the brewery, none.

Considerably different hops in it though. Cant place them. Anyone know what they are?? (Doesnt help I am getting over some type of cold)

Bittered with worrior, finish is all citra, awesome too, they push that hop to the limit. Huge citrus and tropical fruit nose, some catty aroma too. The added malt and mouthfeel come from oats.

From Surly's site:
Abrasive Ale, AKA 16 Grit, D.V.D.A.
We brewed this beer originally at the end of 2008 as a farewell to growler sales. As usual, we underestimated the demand for the first Double IPA in Minnesota. We brewed the beer again in the spring and released it as a draft only beer. It was originally called 16 Grit, a size of abrasive grit used at the old Abrasive factory that once stood where the brewery now resides.
STYLE: Double Oat IPA
MALT: 2-Row, Golden Promise, Oats, Lite Crystal
SUGAR: Brewers Crystals
HOPS: Warrior, Citra
YEAST: English Ale

OG: 19.5° Plato
ABV: 8.8% v/v
COLOR: 8 ºSRM
IBU: 120ish
AVAILABILITY: Late December-March

The "English ale" yeast is Brit II, Wy 1335. The availability this year is late Nov-Feb

Think I may have to have one next now. :D

HPIM1711.jpg

This one's still damn good though. :mug:

BLASPHEMY!! I went for an Abrasive, but the only canned beer was Heady which I'm saving for an upcoming tasting with friends. So I went for this.

HPIM1712.jpg

This is a solid brew, no Abrasive, but it's one of the better year 'round IPAs here for sure.

Is that one of the ones that Firestone Walker makes, or do they only make the TJ's Mission Street offerings?

I know this one's Unibroue (hence why it's always so good). I know some of the others are FW, I know some are Gordon Biersch. I don't recall which ones are which, or if there are any other breweries doing any.

I know this one's Unibroue (hence why it's always so good). I know some of the others are FW, I know some are Gordon Biersch. I don't recall which ones are which, or if there are any other breweries doing any.

I only know the Missions are FW. Not bad either. I haven't had any of the others, but I'm guessing if it's Uni, it's good $hit. I need to get over to TJ's more. :mug:

I only know the Missions are FW. Not bad either. I haven't had any of the others, but I'm guessing if it's Uni, it's good $hit. I need to get over to TJ's more. :mug:

The Vintage ales are Unibroue, the german style beers are GB, the mission is FW, the spotted cow and fat weasel are also FW. Curious who does the corona style beer, and the light lagers in cans.

Back