In dire need of help with a stuck mead.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oter

Reaction score
Hey all,

First mead. Chai spiced metheglin. It is a one gallon batch.
Started at 1.148 gravity and is stuck at 1.070. I racked it and repitched some more d-47. No activity over a month. Racked and pitched some super san diego ale yeast with nutrient and got not a bubble. Temp is between 68-70 depending on what time of day its. This thing is stuck and I am assuming for good. The problem is it is so so sweet. Undrinkable sweet. I can only think of two things to do to save it. I don't know if either is actually worth doing.

The first is cut it with water to take some of the flavor out and bottle it.
Is this feasable?

The second is to brew up some wort and blend the mead and the wort and pitch yeast into that and make a braggot.
Is that feasable?

Any and all help appreciated.

Most likely since it was such a high gravity 1.148 . Thats nearly 20% potential alcohol, if you make it to 1.000. D-47 claims 14 % potential. Which in theory would of dropped to 1.040.

Maybe use ec-1118 for stuck ferment , go until dry , stabalize , then back sweeten ?

This is just my opinion of what I would do...If this is a wronge technique , please let me know

D-47 has likely maxed out, ale yeast didn't stand a chance. I would make a very aggressive starter by rehydrating some ec 1118 with a cup of your mead diluted with a cup of water. Wait 24 hours add another cup of mead, wait another 24 and pitch into your mead. Some nutrients would be a good idea also.

SHH nailed it. Use EC-1118 or Premiere Cuvee and hope for the best. I will say that a super sweet mead... 1.03 - 1.04 isn't the worst thing you can bottle.... Just leave it for a while.

I agree with kahuna, you'll need a wine yeast like cuvee. I have the same thing going but with distillers yeast in a JAOM. Pretty much rocket fuel but it's only a gallon and I am patient.

I had a syrup sweet mead and it was delicious in small servings. Also made a bad @$$ glaze when reduced in a pan.

Good Luck

so if i use the e-1118 is there going to be an insane amount of alcohol presence that's going to have to age for years to get rid of?

Anything high ABV when it comes to meads will be that way. If at 14%ABV or more I would expect to age for a minimum 1 year before giving it a serious try. It sound like it may be better for you to start an equal size batch with maybe 1.5 Pounds of honey per gallon & spices or to a gravity of about 1.05 & blend the two after the second one is finished fermenting. That will lower your gravity and if the ABV drops enough it may finish out fermenting all together.

Latest posts

Back