Commercial beers that let you down?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished an Avery Kaiser imperial oktoberfest. Carb was low, very thick and cloyingly sweet. I was disappointed and have never had a bad specialty avery before.

bnmir said:
Just finished an Avery Kaiser imperial oktoberfest. Carb was low, very thick and cloyingly sweet. I was disappointed and have never had a bad specialty avery before.

I was thinking of picking that up today, I guess I'm glad I got a 60 min IPA instead

I like the mainstream Sierra Nevada products, but their more unusual ones are pretty weak. Ruthless Rye, and the "Beer Camp" floral IPA and Otameal Stout, were all just kind of weak-bodied and tasteless to me.

Festina Peche is what vaulted the significant other back into beer drinking so I can't hate on it even if its not my taste. DFH calls it a neo-berliner weiss, in reality it taste like a highly carbed fruit syrup soda to me.

I brew berliner's sans fruit and buy lambics for the Saturday/Sunday soccer/football events in place of buying wine. I was surprised by the number of woman who said they didn't like beer, but drink both of the aformentioned in copious amounts. I was even more surpised by the number of men who "only" drink stouts and imperial ipa's fall back to the berliner weiss when they think no one is looking.

In terms of underwhlemed beers, I'd also have to add Elysian Night Owl on tap this year. One of my favorite pumpkin beers but I always get bottles. Had it on tap on Sunday and was sadly underwhlemed. Taste was harsh and had some bitter notes at the end, similar to when spices are added to the boil and not the whirlpool or primary.

Well hey, I'm glad that there is at least someone who likes the Festina. I don't know, but that fermented peach flavor is just not friendly on the palate.

Also I generally am quicker to blame the place I'm drinking the beer from if the tap doesn't taste good. One of our local bars does Yings and Wings on tuesdays, and their Yeungling is just not up to par. Still, $2 so I drink it anyway.

Last year's was excellent. Just tapped the BYO version I brewed back in the spring....kick arse. I'm not even going to bother making my usual Oktoberfest brew next year and just make this. :tank:

Green Flash West Coast IPA (1st time, seemed stale and weak on hop aroma. Will give it another go.)
Firestone Walker DBA (Have had before many times and loved...last one was not the same)
Widmer Okto Festival (I just don't think I care for this one at all)
Heretic Shallow Grave (Didn't live up to the hype, but good)
Russian River Damnation (Ditto)
21A Back in Black (Seemed too dry and thin. I know BIPA's are supposed to be dry, but this was too extreme imo)

Magic hat hasnt impressed me.

Fat tire was okay.

Ommegang i think is pretty awful in general, but thats my own opinion.

Had an abita vanilla double something or another and it sucked.

Rogue dead guy. Everyone I talked to love it. I just thought it tasted like stale burnt cedar.

Magic hat hasnt impressed me.

Fat tire was okay.

Ommegang i think is pretty awful in general, but thats my own opinion.

Had an abita vanilla double something or another and it sucked.

Magic Hat was exactly what I had in mind coming into this thread. #9 was one of those beers I had heard people rave about for the longest time, but upon trying it, I couldn't stand. I don't like the tangy, sour aftertaste contributed by the apricots, and the mouthfeel seems too syrupy for a pale ale. I thought maybe I just had a pint from a dirty tap line at first, but the couple times I've given it a chance since then haven't been any better. I give them credit for what they're doing, it just doesn't do it for me.

Fat Tire is decent, but maybe a little overrated. I'd classify it with stuff like Shiner Bock and S.A. Boston Lager as "gateway beers" for people starting to get into craft beer.

You bite your tongue about Ommegang though! ;)

I got to through all the 21 A beers I have had into this thread, Watermelon Wheat, Back in Black and Bitter American. Maybe its the fact that I used to listen to the brewing network alot (before they pretty much just started interviewing commercial breweries) and they always talked it up. When we finally got it in my area I bought every variety and gave it a go. Really was impressed with anything I tried especially at 10 bucks a six pack.

Rogue dead guy. Everyone I talked to love it. I just thought it tasted like stale burnt cedar.

I actually like the Dead Guy, and most Rogue for that matter. But I do have to say that their Voodoo Doughnut is.... well I'm not going to buy it again.

For those who don't know, it's a bacon maple ale. Smells like syrup, tastes like charcoal. Very glad I bought it (came with a cool Rogue Pint Glass) and very glad I experienced it. Not very glad about the taste.

I do have to give them props though, everything they brew is well done, and this is no exception. Smokey bacon doesn't seem to lend to a great beer though.

Rogue Dead Guy.
First, it wasn't at all what I expected. That alone was a let down. I heard it was malty and sweet. It was hoppy! It had a strong malt presence, but it a very hop forward beer.
Second, it had some off flavors that were not good. It had an orange pith like astringency. There was also whiskey like notes in the aftertaste I didn't like (not sure what this was, thinking possibly peat moss)

Rogue Dead Guy.

Man, I feel really bad for you guys missing out on the good Rogue I've had. I definitely didn't have the astringent flavors you're talking about. At 40 IBU it shouldn't be crazy hoppy either.

By any chance were you drinking it draft? I've only ever had it in bottle.

Bottled, and it wasn't crazy hoppy at all. Just a lot more hop forward than I was expecting from reviews.

North Coast Old Rasputin , North Coast PranQster and North Coast Old Stock Ale , I read the hype , heard how everyone loved them , tried all 3 and just didnt enjoy them , maybe my palate isnt very sophisticated

ubenumber2 said:
North Coast Old Rasputin , North Coast PranQster and North Coast Old Stock Ale , I read the hype , heard how everyone loved them , tried all 3 and just didnt enjoy them , maybe my palate isnt very sophisticated

I love Old Rasputin. PranQster is OK. Old Stock Ale is aweful when fresh, nut let it sit for a year or two and its quite good.

Guiness. Remains the most overrated overhyped beer I know. Every twentysomething with the faintest hint of irish blood in him or a cousin that went to notre dame for a semester or who hangs out at the "I-whish" bar has to wax poetic over and over about this one. Every once in a great while I try it again trying to maintain the most open mind about it and everytime... It still sucks.

Guiness. Remains the most overrated overhyped beer I know. Every twentysomething with the faintest hint of irish blood in him or a cousin that went to notre dame for a semester or who hangs out at the "I-whish" bar has to wax poetic over and over about this one. Every once in a great while I try it again trying to maintain the most open mind about it and everytime... It still sucks.

On draft, I think it's just OK assuming it's been poured properly. I never cared for the can or bottle versions, but I always attributed that to just not really caring for the style. The only other commecially available example of the style I can ever come across is Murphy's. I may prefer that a bit more, but It's not really my thing.
Have you tried any other craft versions of a dry Irish stout, and how did they compare? Is it just a style thing I guess is what I'm getting at?

Sure, could be the style. But still it lets me down every time. And there are few styles I don't like one or another example of. Perhaps its not just me... or there would be more versions of the style. Dunno.

PtE, most everything from DFH, Bourbon County are the big ones....the gluten free from Alchemist also, but less so than the others...I guess I was just hopeful that the awesomeness would translate to a GF beer

Special Hops said:
Stella Atrois - When they forst started selling it everyine raved about it. Doen;t do anything for me.
Most anything Belgian - just don't care for the style

I agree. To me Stella tastes like skunk water! Id rather drink cheap malt liquer than a Stella.

Magic Hat was exactly what I had in mind coming into this thread. #9 was one of those beers I had heard people rave about for the longest time, but upon trying it, I couldn't stand. I don't like the tangy, sour aftertaste contributed by the apricots, and the mouthfeel seems too syrupy for a pale ale. I thought maybe I just had a pint from a dirty tap line at first, but the couple times I've given it a chance since then haven't been any better. I give them credit for what they're doing, it just doesn't do it for me.

Fat Tire is decent, but maybe a little overrated. I'd classify it with stuff like Shiner Bock and S.A. Boston Lager as "gateway beers" for people starting to get into craft beer.

You bite your tongue about Ommegang though! ;)

I take that back. Had a few of Ommegang's amber ale at the bar tonight. Awesome beer.

I wonder if you just got a bad beer , this is one of my favorite beers , been in business since 97 and since 03 has been owned by Duvel, in Brew Like A Monk they go on how they have used the same methods in this brewery as in Belgium maybe try another one from a different package store

I had very high hopes when I brought home a bottle of this beer today.
Boy was I disappointed.
About the only thing remotely Belgian about this beer was the bottle format.
Maybe it's the cumin (something I would reserve exclusively for cooking).
Reminiscent of an English bitter gone terribly awry.
I'm a bit sad because I really like what these folks are doing up there, but they won't be around long brewing beer like this.

I will probably get crap for this, but Southern Tier's creme brulee was awful! I don't feel like I can say anything appropriate about that beer. Are you ready for this one? PUMKING! What a disappointment. It's SO hyped up, but it's only "good". Not the best pumpkin beer ever, or whatever. It just wasn't worth bragging about. However,.... 6.99 was a pretty fair price for it.

New Belgium did it again! Snow Day winter ale is ridiculously poor! I have given up on this brewery! It tasts like burnt buckwheat and hops. I do NOT like it sam i am!

Southern Tier 2Xmas, "brewed in the style of swedish glogg." I make glogg every few years and love ST so I couldn't wait to try it. Haven't gotten past the third swig yet. Tastes great but more than a taste is unbearable. WAY too heavily spiced.

Dogfish Head 120 Min.
New Belgium La Folie (and all New Belgium for that matter, but this one in particular).
Pliny The Elder (it was very good, but not up to the hype).
21A Brew Free Or Die IPA (I haven't been enthralled by any of their beers, but this one I thought particularly bad)
Victory Golden Monkey (I've loved everything else I've had from them, this one tasted like rocket fuel)
Dogfish Head Festina Peche. I was expecting something remotely tart. I got an uninspired fruit American Wheat.
Sam Adams Black and Brew. I find Sam Adams hit or miss to begin with, but folks said this one was good. I thought it tasted awful.
Unibroue Ephemere Apple. Lots of aroma. Zero flavor. I've loved (or at least really liked) all their other beers. This was just bad.

I'd have to say Arrogant Bastard, and most everything by Stone. Don't really understand the hype, not impressed by their beers. But I do like their business model.

morticus said:
I'd have to say Arrogant Bastard, and most everything by Stone. Don't really understand the hype, not impressed by their beers. But I do like their business model.

You'd probably like the 12.21.12. I'm not a huge stone fan either and since I hate Chinook hops I'm not crazy about AB or DB but I did really enjoy that beer.

I will have to give it a try. I'm always down to try any beer at least once. I don't mind chinooks, but prefer simcoe. I'm mainly a Rogue and Deschutes fan.

Gritty's Pumpkinhead Ale

Costs like 17.99 for 12 pack in the supermarket. Tastes like pumpkin vomit. Gave it away.

Back