Imperial Wit recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for an Imperial Wit. Would like to modify a mini-mash AHS recipe. I like my beers strong enough to just taste the alcohol.
Thanks!

The problem with imperializing something like a wit is that a lot of the original character is the light/refreshing nature of the style. You could certainly add more wheat malt extract to a kit, but I’d also include ~1 lb of table sugar to try to keep the beer crisp. I would up the bitterness proportionally (if your beer is 50% stronger, add 50% more hops/IBUs), but I would leave the spices as is. Personally I’d keep it around 7% ABV, but you could certainly go higher if you don’t mind losing that lightness. Make sure to pitch enough yeast, give it enough oxygen, keep fermentation temps down, and let it have enough time for fermenting/conditioning.

Good luck

By "just taste the alcohol" do you mean "barley taste the alcohol" or "only taste the alcohol"? haha

Anyways, Oldsock said anything I would have. Upping an existing recipe would be a good place to start and using a sugar addition will help it keep a low FG and not be too heavy.

Back