How do I know if my yeast is still alive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomlivings

Reaction score
I made some Apfelwein about 6 months ago. I used Nottingham yeast (I think). Its been at a constant temp except for one day when it may have dropped down to around 50 (from 70). So, are there any tests for yeast in a carboy? Should I just throw some more yeast in before priming?
Thanks,
Tom.

Did you take a gravity reading? If there is no sugar left to ferment, throwing in yeast will do nothing.

Did you take a gravity reading? If there is no sugar left to ferment, throwing in yeast will do nothing.

Thanks, but Im talking about priming. I need to know if there are some little yeasties still alive to do the carbing.
Oh, and yes the sugar has all gone. Its at 1.000

Thanks, but Im talking about priming. I need to know if there are some little yeasties still alive to do the carbing.
Oh, and yes the sugar has all gone. Its at 1.000

Ahhhh, ok. I would say that the yeast is dormant and you should get carbonation. It may take a while longer though.

They might mumble something about turning off the light and keeping it down... :D Or they might toss some brew at you in an effort to get you to go away. Although that would have the opposite effect on most of us. :D

In the case of apfelwein which is so high grav you prolly exceeded the tolerance or at least tuckered it out, it wouldn't hurt to pitch some fresh yeast at bottling time. I had issues with my last batch of apfelwein carbing up even after 6 months in the bottles. It's such a high alcohol enviroment (of course I'm still partically convinced I primed with lactose and not corn sugar anyway.)

Back