Food Ideas for winery party??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
My parents are in the process of opening a small winery and I was talking to them about food for kind of soft opening, introduction, VIP party. They're looking at 50-70 people and the wines will mostly consist of Zinfandel and Riesling blends. It's Southern IL and the taste buds down there prefer sweeter wines, so they've basically got a dry,semi dry, semi sweet, and sweet wine made from the Zin and Riesling. They also made two wines with natural fruit juices, Riesling blended with blackberry and rasberry in a semi-sweet wine.
They were looking for foods that they'll be able to carry like meats, cheeses, and olives, but I think for a opening party they should step it up for the party and have a few hot appetizers or something more that helps to pair with the wines. It's only the two of them unless I get down to help them for the party, so simpler is better. The crowd mostly won't be sophisticated wine drinkers.

I'm thinking something like:

-Jerk Marinated Pork Skewer (sweeter and fruit blended wines in marinade)
-Meatballs in a red wine sauce (with their dry reserve Zin)
-Mini Beef Welligtons (if I can find a good price on tenderloin)
-Assorted Meats and Cheeses (it's easy, but expensive)
-Hummus, Spinach Dip,
-Melon with wrapped in procuitto or panchetta
-A Sangria made with a few wines

I'm not sure what other food to think of to go with the sweeter wines, everything I'm thinking of works best with dry wines, which aren't the big sellers down south.

Maybe some kind of bbq appitizers, not sure exactly what that would be. Most bbq i do is really messy. Maybe change the meatballs to bbq?

a bit off topic but is this winery near Carbondale? I went to school at SIU and used to go to all the wineries down in that area. Yes, you will most likely be dealing with college kids if this is the area your parents have their winery.

a bit off topic but is this winery near Carbondale? I went to school at SIU and used to go to all the wineries down in that area. Yes, you will most likely be dealing with college kids if this is the area your parents have their winery.

Yeah, they're right in the wine trail area, closer to the Anna/Cobden area. My parents both went to SIU, and so did I, my brother and my wife. Not sure when you went there, but wineries are just popping up there like crazy. I graduated around '99 and at the time there were basically 4-5, and now they're are around 20 I think. Sounds like the Strip is kind of dwindling down and more people are going out to the bigger wineries instead of bar hopping.
My parents are looking for more of the faculty, grad students, and local professionals for their market.

Not sure when you went there, but wineries are just popping up there like crazy. .

I graduated in 2002 and even then there weren't more than 6 I'd say. It was always fun to do "the wine trail" especially when one of the wineries would host food and music on the weekends. What is your parent's winery called?

I recall one of the wineries always having some cajun type food catered in when I would go. Shrimp and Crablegs type stuff. Although in southern IL that wouldn't exactly be fresh either.

Possibly carpacio with capers instead of the costly (and time consuming) mini beef wellingtons, maybe a cheese fondue with a good crusty bread for dipping, mushroom or eggplant pate, cheese board with pears, apples and grapes. Mini quiches (frozen).

Sounds like a good time! Good luck!

How about smoked and sliced duck breast, make a glaze with the sweet red wine reduction, some garlic, black peppercorns and a sprig or two of fresh thyme or rosemary.

I like pairing the sweeter wines with spicy foods,

A sweeter Riesling should go well with a chipotle marinated pork tenderloin, it would also go well with spicy creole blackened shrimp placed on a dollop of guacamole on small tortilla rounds.

I'm diggin' all the ideas, I knew asked the right people. Assuming something like 50 people show up, what's my best medium for a fondue, the kits are normally fairly small right? I could make the sauce and keep refreshing right? Suggestions on cheeses for sauce, more mild with some of their white wine splashed in?

I use a mix of Gruyère, swiss, and cheddar, just a Little bit of butter and flour to make a roux, and a good belt of white wine and some white pepper, I also rub the inside of my fondue pot with a fresh garlic clove before adding the cheese, then toss it in whole into the fondue. allrecipes.com is where I found the one I use, there are a ton of recipes out there though.

Has anyone had much experience with using puff pastry or phyllo for appetizers? Is it an expensive item to buy? If I'm able to make it down there, it won't be until the night before the party, and I am trying to think of things that can be prepped in the done in small batches as people show up and keep refreshing the food. I just thought puff pastry would give me flexibility to use whatever fillings best match wines and have them all prepped and ready by the morning, and ready to throw in the oven.
They don't really have much space for chafing dishes or mainting hot items, but I think they are buying a fondue set, so that's one item that is set.

http://www.puffpastry.com/recipecollection.aspx?rc=1 from Pepperidge Farms website, some neat ideas, just not sure how much the puff pastry. I know it's cheap to make, but really takes a lot of time to do right. Anyone ever done a brie or camembert en croute? If so how would it serve?

Actually, probably scratch the en croute if we're doing a fondue, that might be cheese overkill.

I have done Brie in puff pastry many times before. It is great in so many ways. You can spread it with pesto or a chutney before wrapping and baking. I personally prefer the chutney. Serve it with some sturdy crackers. Make small finger tartlets from puff pastry are very time consuming, instead I would do little baggies using a square of puff pastry with maybe a crab cake filling and bunch up the center over the filling into a little bundle and bake. Serve with a couple of different sauces for dipping.

Back