Abita Jockamo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsruther

Reaction score
We went to a Cajun restaurant this evening and the waitress siad they had Abita beers. I've heard of Abita but, never tried any. The first one I got was the amber ale and I must say, it was pretty smooth for an amber and I liked it. I decided to try a different one and got a Jackamo. She brought it to the table and I saw IPA on the label. I usually don't care for IPAs and some of them are downright nasty fore my taste. I have to say that Jackamo was pretty good though. The hops flavor was definitely up front but, it didn't bite like other IPAs. A crisp hoppy flavor is the best I can describe it. It's not a beer I'd buy a six pack of but, if you're an IPA lover and haven't had it yet, it's definitely worth a try.
My son got Turbodog dark and it was pretty good too.
Anyone else had Abita?

Oh yeah...

Had Turbo Dog, Amber, Jockamo, Purple Haze, and the Harvest Pecan... Think I may grab the bomber of Andy Gator one of these days...

Purple Haze is a pretty good brew. Light, hints of berries, but not overwhelming. Good summer beer, cold and refreshing. Not one I'd buy 6 of, but I'd throw a couple in a mix-6.

Not a big fan of Purple Haze. I'd get it on tap before wasting money on a six pack. Turbo Dog is decent. I pick up a Sixer every once and a while. There are better English Browns out there though.

Jockamo is an OK IPA. I haven't had it in a while. I remember being kind of underwhelmed though.

I'll throw my vote in against purple haze. Got it crossed with Hazed and Infused (one of my faves) once on a restaurant menu and regretted the mistake.

I live about 10 min from the Abita Brewery and frequent it as often as i'm allowed to. Purple Haze is not purple and does resemble a wheat beer. The Turbodog is one of my favorites and was voted best beer in America by Stuff magazine a couple of years ago. I'm not a fan of the Jockamo IPA however. If you like Big Beers then Abita's Andygator is just for you. At the brewery, it's a whopping 11.65% alcohol and taste great, but in the bottles it's only 8%. I've heard them classify the gator as a barleywine but i think that was just because of the alcohol content. Abita also makes my favorite Oatmeal Stout but they only serve it on tap as part of their Select line which changes periodically.

I tried the Andy at the Abita Brewpub and it was definitely better than the bottled but the bottled is still good. I am not big on the Purple Haze and I think it is just the fruit in my beer. Their most recent seasonal is the Satsuma Wit. Tried a sixer of that for Game 1 of the College World Series (Geaux Tigers) and I didnt care for it either. Again, fruit in my beer. Jockamo is one of my favorites and best IMHO on tap. Restoration Ale is also a great Pale Ale.

Just had the Satsuma Wit. Decent, not great. I recently tried S.A. BlackBerry Wit, Harpoon UFO White, and the Satsuma. I'd rank them UFO, Abita, S.A.

Had Jockamo at a Cajun restaurant myself a week or so ago. It's pretty malty for my style of IPA, but if I didn't think about drinking an IPA, it was a fantastic beer. I've also had Turbodog and thought it was quite good.

Jackamo is great for what it is, but it's definitely not similar to the standard American IPA/West Coast IPA that you're used to. Whereas most american IPA's are dominated by citrus/floral hop characteristic (think DFH 60-minute, Bell's 2 Hearted, Stone IPA), the Jackamo IPA is packed full of PUNGENT and EARTHY hop flavor characteristics. It has a powerful dank aroma, almost like fresh marijuana.

The thing with hops is, they can be used to push a beer in many different directions - from citrus or floral to piney, earthy, pungeant, even towards mint or garlic flavors in some cases. Abita just chose to go a different direction with their hop flavoring/aroma than most other american IPAs.

I'd highly recommend giving it a whirl, but keep your expectations open. After a couple of them, the flavor really grows on you. It will definitely bring a new appreciation of the complexity of hop flavors.

I've just downed my first Jockamo. Wasn't expecting much due to a B rating, but was very pleased with this brew. Piney, RESINEY, earthy hop profile with some sweet fruity citrus. Certainly has a nice malt backbone for balance. One of the more drinkable IPAs I've had, VERY drinkable. Love the mouthfeel & flavor.

Would love to know what the hop profile/hops used is for Jockamo?

As for other Abita biers. Purple Haze is one of the worst biers I've ever had, certainly the worst fruit bier. It's total crap. However the Amber is a nice quaffer & Turbodog is very nice. However Andygator is a must try. Don't expect it to surpass the best biers in the world, but it's an amazingly good malty bier. Pecan harvest is quite good and worth the try but takes second place to Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan.

Schlante,
Phillip

I've just downed my first Jockamo. Wasn't expecting much due to a B rating, but was very pleased with this brew. Piney, RESINEY, earthy hop profile with some sweet fruity citrus. Certainly has a nice malt backbone for balance. One of the more drinkable IPAs I've had, VERY drinkable. Love the mouthfeel & flavor.

Would love to know what the hop profile/hops used is for Jockamo?

As for other Abita biers. Purple Haze is one of the worst biers I've ever had, certainly the worst fruit bier. It's total crap. However the Amber is a nice quaffer & Turbodog is very nice. However Andygator is a must try. Don't expect it to surpass the best biers in the world, but it's an amazingly good malty bier. Pecan harvest is quite good and worth the try but takes second place to Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan.

1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (90 min) Hops 44.3 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -

I guarantee that is spot on. :)

Back