Help picking a yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dimock44

Reaction score
Hello to All. I have made several batches ( gallon size ) of cider using Champagne yeast and I really don't care for the taste. would someone please explain how to categorize yeast as to dry, semi-dry and sweet. I will really appreciate any help as I am trying to get a sweeter taste. Thanks in advance.

Champagne yeast will make the cider extremely dry. Do not use any wine yeast. Beer yeast is designed to leave a little sweetness behind. Use Nottingham or US-05.

Forrest

Use either WLP300 or WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan (they are both the same yeast). It makes a much better cider than using montrachet or champagne yeast. I even drink it while it is still fermenting and just pour more cider in to replace what I have taken. In fact, I'm having a glass right now and it is delicious. I also ferment it in the one gallon containers that the cider comes in. Just pour a glass of cider when you open the jug, add a half pound of dextrose, some pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient, pitch your yeast, throw a stopper in with a blowoff tube, put the blowoff tube in a jar of water and let it sit out in the kitchen where it is warm. You'll have great cider in a few weeks. You can just serve it out of the jug or rack it into a clean jug and age it for a while.

Champagne yeast will make the cider extremely dry. Do not use any wine yeast. Beer yeast is designed to leave a little sweetness behind. Use Nottingham or US-05.

Forrest

Thanks Austin I just ordered both. I'm in E. TX about 70 mi. from a HB store so I'll have to wait a few days. Tom

I'll chirp in on the difference us 05 and S04. S-04 is an English ale yeast and I think the end result is a a bit sweeter. You end up with more of an apple taste. I'm finding that this is especially true with ciders that have a lower alcohol level. Say at about 5%. It is very close to Nottingham but just a tad bit sweeter.
I like the US-05 but it is not as sweet and seems to ferment a bit faster than the S 04.
I would experiment with both when you get them. Everybody has a different idea of what cider is suppose to be like , so experiment.

I'll chirp in on the difference us 05 and S04. S-04 is an English ale yeast and I think the end result is a a bit sweeter. You end up with more of an apple taste. I'm finding that this is especially true with ciders that have a lower alcohol level. Say at about 5%. It is very close to Nottingham but just a tad bit sweeter.
I like the US-05 but it is not as sweet and seems to ferment a bit faster than the S 04.
I would experiment with both when you get them. Everybody has a different idea of what cider is suppose to be like , so experiment.

Thanks for the input. I learned to like cider on several trips to London and I seem to prefer 6 to 7% types that are not so dry. I do experiment but only til I fall down. :D

Use either WLP300 or WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan (they are both the same yeast).

I'll second this one. I have batches in the cellar now with 3068, Nottingham, Lalvin EC-1118, S-04, Nottingham, Cotes de Blanc, and wild yeast, and so far the Wyeast 3068 is the tastiest and most interesting, along with the wild yeast. The EC-1118 is great, too, but very clean and champagne-like.

Back