My first oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonefishing

Someday I'll stop procrastinating
Reaction score
Drinking a harpoon Oatmeal Stout... my first oatmeal stout and I'm thinking I'm not a fan. Actually, I'm thinking I might not be a chocolate malt fan and I'm betting this stuff has quite a bit in it.

Yeah, I'm with you. I don't like black patent, or roasted barley, so stouts are not something I normally choose. I've had some good ones- Jaybird sent me one (or it could have been a porter) and Wolf gave me one that was awesome. (Wolf doesn't seem to post any more- but what a nice guy!)

Anyway, I'm also not a fan of chocolate malt and use it in small quantities just for color. Black patent and chocolate malt just taste burnt to me, and I can't really enjoy the beer.

If you have a LHBS, I find that it's helpful to go in and actually sample a bit of the grains. You can taste them, and find out that BP is acrid, for example. Or, like I've done, through trial and error find some malts that you just don't care for.

Yeah apparently I like burnt toast, hotdogs, pizza and popcorn but don't like burnt flavored grains. I can tell ya though, my oldest son would love this stuff... he commented that one of my brews is his favorite beer because it has a burnt taste (yes, it has Cm in it).
I'm planning some malt tasting when I go to my LHBS next anyway... I'm most curious about biscuit.

One of my favorite Oatmeal stouts is Anderson Valley's "Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout". Wow! can't get enough of that stuff. If you want a good example of a smooth version of a oatmeal stout, see if you an find it, it's worth it.

I was never really a fan of dark beers, but that was before I realized the only dark beer I'd ever tried was Guinness. Someone handed me a bottle of Fuller's London Porter last weekend, it was delicious. Matter of fact, my next batch (tomorrow!) is going to be a British Mild with some black patent and chocolate in it. I'm going to try to brew my way into liking dark, malty beers.

That said, I'll still take golden, crisp, and hoppy anyday.

i just recently brewed a brown ale with 1 lb. of choco. malt and 1 lb. of choco wheat malt. it did not taste burnt and was heavy on the choco. yet i did brew an oatmeal stout and used black patent and it did taste a little roasty. but it was great none the less. i also steeped french vanilla coffee beans
:tank:

if you can try duck-rabbit milk stout & baltic porter, bells exp. stout. java stout, double cream stout, sam smith oatmeal stout, terrapin wake-n-bake coffee oatmeal imperial stout.

do you like other stouts than oatmeal?

I truly believe you cannot go wrong with Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. If I could make a perfect clone of it, I would have it on hand all the time. Just really perfect balance, texture, and the taste lingers on the palate but never "bitters" like some other examples I have tried.

+1 for Sam Smith Oatmeal. Tried it for the first time last night and it was amazing! While I do like the burnt taste of highly roasted malts, I enjoyed the stout because it had only a slight roasted flavor to it, and wasn't bitter at all. Unfortunately, I don't have any other beers to compare it to, so take my review for what its worth.

+2 on the Sammy. Delic! I am a big fan of roasty stouts, but to each their own. I don't enjoy sweet ales anymore (certain wheats, etc). I need a good hop falvor or some good roastiness to bring my pallate to attention.

I don't enjoy sweet ales anymore (certain wheats, etc). I need a good hop falvor[sic] or some good roastiness to bring my pallate to attention.

Yeah I've tried a few wheat beers (Blue Moon and New Belgium Sunshine Wheat) and I just can't appreciate them. I like the darker roasted malts, the more black patent the better lol. Luckily my gf likes the Sunshine wheat so its not a wasted six-pack. Luckily for me, someone at the store switched two of the wheat beers with the NB flat tyre, so I have two decent beers to drink and the gf can have the rest lol.

Back