I'm having problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSbrewer

Reaction score
:drunk:I started brewing beer about 6 months ago. I have had 5or6 good beers from extract, but the last two that batches ( finally bought a wort chiller for these last two) have smelled horribly like bananas ( Honey ale, Phlat tire ). I believe that I possibly contaminated them after the boil because they fermented for a really long time. I love this new hobby, but am getting a little frustrated. Any encouraging words. I think I might need to start planning more and brewing on the weekend. We have to many people at the house everytime I brew and I think my eye is not on the prize!!!

I'm relatively new at this too, but I know a little about this one.

My guesses would be esters caused by either not enough aeration before pitching the yeast, or the temp was too high during fermentation.

At what temperature are you fermenting? It sounds like you're on the hot side.

For your next batch, try using a cooling method for your primary. A good method is simply a large tub of water, wrap a towel around the fermenter (make sure it's in the water) and have a fan blowing on it.

I am fermenting @ 70 degrees it never gets above 72......and as far as oxygen for the yeast, I pour the wort back in forth about 6 or seven times...could it come from not cooling it quick enough???

Is 70 degree to hot to frement ales??? if so where do i need to put them. it is only 70 in my house and im in the DEEP south (neck deep)soo no alternate places...maybe a regulator on an old fridge??

If it is 70 in the house your beer is probably fermenting quite higher. Use the method bradsul was talking about. I do and mty beer never gets above 66*

If it is 70 in the house your beer is probably fermenting quite higher.

Just for your information, yeast will produce heat. Thus the reason why your beer will be hotter than your house's temp. I just use the bathtub in our guest bathroom to keep the temps down, and follow what bradsul said.

Agreeeeeeed.

At 72 in your house, your beer is probabably around 77.

Aside from the method mentioned above, you can put it in a big cooler, or make a styrofoam box, and put a frozen water bottle in with it.

I use one of these that holds 2 fermenters, and a few inches of water.

2244-blue-mist_sm.jpg

I have an aquarium thermometer on the side of it to check the temp of the water. I cover each of the carboys/buckets with a t-short to wick up the water.

I filled a bunch of 2 liter soda bottles and some small water bottles with water and froze them...I change them out every couple days. I can get the ambient temp of the thermometers on the bucket down to the low 60's which means that the heat of fermentation is only a few degrees higher.

I had that same thing happen to me.
In the spring everthing was coming out good. Summer came and my programable thermostat on my house would let it get up to 80 during the days. I had a bad batch with the same symptoms.
Now I have a freezer with a temp control in the garage and back to good beer.

Summer came and my programable thermostat on my house would let it get up to 80 during the days.

I have to move operations to my basement for the same reason. Otherwise the tub w/water and a tshirt with fan will do the trick as others mentioned.
Well, I still use a fan in the basement as its usually around 68 down there.

Thanks for the help guys......This site is one of the best tools for the trade and I appreciate the advise!!!!!!

Back