Help me with a stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crobinson

Reaction score
Soooo... I'm a bit of a newby and for my second brew, I decided to start my yeast by putting it into a mini-wort situation before pitching it. Right before I pitched, I thought it would be wise to shake it a bit to get the yeast off the bottom and it exploded all over my kitchen ceiling. I managed to get about 1/2 the yeast in the wort. Since then, it took a bit longer than my first brew to start bubbling and is still going, but doesn't look like it's going to really take off.

I think I might be facing a "stuck fermentation". I'm really fishing for some ideas about what to do. Does anyone think it would be wise to try to pitch again?

Thanks in advance for your help

CR

How long has it been?

Have you taken any hydrometer readings?

Is there still evidence of activity?

I'd be willing to bet that the best advice right now is to RDWHAHB. It sounds like you're just experiencing the ill effects of underpitching, which won't necessarily result in a stuck fermentation.

Is is currently bubbling? If so, your fermentation is not stuck. It's probably just taking awhile due to the loss of a good portion of your yeast when you shook it up. Give it some more time.

Also, take a look at your fermentation temperature. You might want to move the fermenter to an area that is in the 68-70 deg range if not already there.

If it was stuck, you would have no activity at all and your FG would be higher than expected.

I pitched twenty four hours ago so I have not taken any hydrometer readings since right before the pitch.

There IS some activity. In fact, it is bubbling pretty rapidly. I guess I'm just stressed about the underpitching and was wondering if there is something I should do sooner than later.

should I know what RDWHAHB is?

Thanks again.

cr

Back