Balancing a porter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s1911

Reaction score
I am making my first recipe opposed to doing kits as I have done in the past. I haven't experimented much and am wondering if this porter recipe will have enough base malt and hops to balance out the specialty grains. It is a partial mash btw.

Porter

3 lbs Dark LME
4 lbs American 2-row
8 oz Black Malt
8 oz Chocolate Malt
1 lb Crystal 60L
1 oz Willamette hops
1 oz Fuggles hops

Does this look ok??

Thanks!:mug:

Seems like it might work. With dark LME, Black malt, and Chocolate Malt, it is going to be almost black (like a stout), but it is a fairly good base grain bill. How were you planning to use the hops? Are you adding both types early? You will probably need both of those hops additions at 60 minutes to get enough bittering. My software calculates only 22 IBU if all 2 ounces are added at 60 minutes. Here is a copy of your recipe that I have plugged into my brewing software

test recipe

Method: Partial Mash
Style: Brown Porter
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV: 4.7%
IBU: 22.18
SRM: 36.52

Fermentables

3 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Dark 33.3%
4 lb American - Pale 2-Row 44.4%
0.5 lb American - Black Malt 5.6%
0.5 lb American - Chocolate 5.6%
1 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 60L 11.1%
9 lb Total

Hops

1 oz Willamette 60 min 4.5 11.09 IBU
1 oz Fuggles 60 min 4.5 11.09 IBU

Awesome! I like my porter to be fairly dark, but I may switch out the dark lme to light lme. I planned on doing 1 oz of willamette at 60 and 1 oz of fuggle for the last 2. Im guessing I should up the willamette to 1.5 or 2 oz to get more bitterness. What did you use to get everything charted out like that?? Thanks!

what did you use to get everything charted out like that?? thanks!

I use a cloud-based brewing software available at www.brewersfriend.com.
They offer a free trial that will allow you to save up to 5 recipes, but I quickly realized that having brewing software was an excellent resource, so I paid $10 for a one-year membership.

I love the recipe builder tool and the various calculation tools (hops bitterness, priming sugar amounts, mash-in temperature, etc...)

They also have exporting tools that allow you to convert a recipe to text or HTML or BeerXML format and attach it to emails (or HBT forums!) which is what I used to calculate your recipe and then post it here.

awesome! I like my porter to be fairly dark, but I may switch out the dark lme to light lme. I planned on doing 1 oz of willamette at 60 and 1 oz of fuggle for the last 2. Im guessing i should up the willamette to 1.5 or 2 oz to get more bitterness, what did you use to get everything charted out like that?? thanks!

I would probably do 2 ounces of willamette at 60 and add the fuggles in the last few minutes. That would get you into the 25 IBU neighborhood, which should be excellent for a porter.

Awesome man! I'll be brewing sometime this week. I'll post on how it goes when I start drinking em.

Incase your wondering, I have all my ingredients and am brewing this up on Tuesday. My final recipe was:

4lbs Light LME
4lbs US 2-Row
8 oz Chocolate Malt
8 oz Black Malt
1 lb Crystal 60L
1 oz of Willamette that I'll be adding at 60
1 oz of Fuggle that I'll be adding at 5

5.5%ABV and 34 IBU
and Safale S-04 yeast

Hope it turns out, I'm sure it will.

Back