Largest immersion chiller sold.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
Does anyone make a chiller larger than 50 ft half inch? Also does anyone make one in a larger diameter?

I have a 20 gallon mega pot and all chillers I've seen seem too small. I do twelve gallon batches.

Thanks

I have a 30 gallon kettle and a 1/2" pipe 50 footer would be perfect for 20 or 25 gallon batches.

I use a 30' CFC though and get my 15 gallon batches down to 70 in about 30 minutes.

Does anyone make a chiller larger than 50 ft half inch? Also does anyone make one in a larger diameter?

I have a 20 gallon mega pot and all chillers I've seen seem too small. I do twelve gallon batches.

Thanks

I do 13 gallon batches and I find the 1/2" x50' is plenty. The key is to whirlpool while you chill. I use a pump to whirlpool but if you don't have a pump just stir it with a spoon to move the wort over the copper coils.

this assumes your water temps reasonable. If you live in a HOT area and have warm tap water look at pumping ice water thru the chiller.

Thanks. Should I get a whirlpool immersion chiller or just whirlpool with a pump. Or go counter flow. I use lots of hops. Thanks.

For that matter, your getting close to just using a plate heat exchanger. Especially if you have a pump or two...

I prefer the immersion chiller it's seams easier to clean and there is not so much fuss over straining out hops and trub and all that nonsense

I talked to someone recently that is using two immersion chillers one connected to the other but the first one is in a bucket filled with ice water then it goes into the one in the kettle then out. He explained that the cooling of the wort happens quickly when you first start because there is a big temp difference between the water in the chiller and the wort but as the wort cools and that difference is not so great the cooling slows so pre cooling the water to much colder allows that heat energy to flow to the water faster.

Thanks
Not really sure how larger diameter would make a difference. What matters is surface area. NB does sell a 70 ft chiller and of course, if you want to get crafty, you can easily make your own chiller of any length with any diameter.

I talked to someone recently that is using two immersion chillers one connected to the other but the first one is in a bucket filled with ice water then it goes into the one in the kettle then out. He explained that the cooling of the wort happens quickly when you first start because there is a big temp difference between the water in the chiller and the wort but as the wort cools and that difference is not so great the cooling slows so pre cooling the water to much colder allows that heat energy to flow to the water faster.

I've done the "pre chiller" and it doesn't work all that well. What is much more effective use tap water and an immersion chiller to get it down to 100F then hook up a small garden pump to recirculate ice water thru the immersion chiller. With the ice water and the pump you can hit any temp you want very very fast

yeah i use a sump with ice. gonna pull the trigger on the 50ft half inch. also, i think 50 ft of half inch is more surface area than the 70 ft 3/8 inch from northern brewer

This is one that I want to make, think it is Dutch's.

IMAG0395.jpg

This is one that I want to make, think it is Dutch's.

It looks like the inner coil is about the diamiter of a korny keg the outer about the size of your average 5 gallon propane bottle, both work great for froming copper tubing. :)

It looks like the inner coil is about the diamiter of a korny keg the outer about the size of your average 5 gallon propane bottle, both work great for froming copper tubing. :)

Only thing different I would do is T the 3/8 coils and have only two 1" in/outs.

Outside of that, it's pretty bad.

I've done the "pre chiller" and it doesn't work all that well. What is much more effective use tap water and an immersion chiller to get it down to 100F then hook up a small garden pump to recirculate ice water thru the immersion chiller. With the ice water and the pump you can hit any temp you want very very fast

This is what is most effective for me. I do 11g batches. Once my single tier is done i am moving to a plate chiller.

i just moved off the plate chiller-hard to keep those clean and flowing in high hopped beers.

if you want to get crafty, you can easily make your own chiller of any length with any diameter.

I agree with this. Why not make your own and have what is good for your system? I use a 5/8" OD 1/2" ID chiller I made because it's all about surface area when talking about quick chilling. Lowes currently sells a 50' coil for $90. A couple of compression fittings and you're all set. If I can solder, anyone can!

Latest posts

Back