Do you really need a NEMA enclosure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strongbad52

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just wondering, do we really need a waterproof box rated for outdoor use when we are just going to punch holes and cut into these. I ask because my brother works in the surgical repair business and has access to large aluminum boxes called genesis boxes.

The only thing I really worry about is finding a large enough flat area to put the heatsink on.

I just used what I could find free. I have them mounted on the wall well away from any water hazzard.
I guess it depends on where the panel will be located.

The NEMA enclosures are typically used due to their availability. It is not a requirement and many different types of boxes are used for this application. Since we are not doing this for commercial purposes, it is your choice. Please keep safety in mind with your selection.

It'll be mounted on a wall away from the stand. I gained a healthy respect for electricity from 10 years of remodeling my dads house when I was a kid. I am lucky enough to have a father in law who was an electrician so I will be paying him in beer to help me run all the electrical in the basement/brewhouse.

I guess if I go with kal kit it comes with the enclosure, but thanks for the replies. Any help is appreciated.

I gutted and refaced an old IBM computer tower. Works great. Use what you can. Build a band equipment box, what ever. Just be sure to include provisions for heat to escape from the SSR.

Back