Newbie in Newnan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topher79

Reaction score
Just wondering if there is anybody else that brews in Newnan? I'm new to this slightly addictive hobby (I've only brewed 4 extract batches since August), and was wondering if anybody else out this way brewed, or if there would be any clubs in Newnan that would be beneficial to a noob. Thanks!

I'm in Sharpsburg, there are a few of us on here. Never met any of them.

I go to Just Brew It in Riverdale/Fayetteville.

I'm in Newnan.. I shop at Just Brew It.

I do a bit of brewing, couple times a month usually.

Hey, FATCITY, glad to hear there is another brewer in Newnan, lol! I generally tend to brew a couple of times a month, myself. I have done all my shopping at Just Brew It!, and have gained some good tips from talking to the owner, Doug. I have brewed the recipes that are exclusive to them. I started with the "American Blondie" and I am getting the "Chocolate Imperial Porter" sent to the the house this week to brew this weekend. Are you extract, partial mash, all grain?

Doug has some great recipes for sure. They are fun to take and change up too!

I'm all grain but recently switched into it. It's a lot more fun and I find it to taste better too.

The imperial porter is a good recipe. His ipas are good bases too for different hop profiles to learn with.

Where in newnan? I'm in sg.

I have yet to tweak any of Doug's recipes, but definitely want to. I just don;t know where to start. I ordered a cherry porter that he has, rather than the imperial porter. As I only have (1) Primary and (1) Secondary carboy, I couldn't let my secondary get tied up for that long! However, I am going to get more carboys in a month or so, and that will solve that problem!

I want to switch to all grain, but am going to get a few more partial batches under my belt. I have heard it makes a better brew, and can't wait to get into the process.

I am in the Roscoe area, but we are thinking of moving to the Woodstream/SG area in the Spring....

When I was doing extract/steeping grains with his recipes, I simply started upping the DME, and some of the crystal to balance out the more hops, and more alcohol that were produced. Then I took them, and started single hopping the pales and IPA's with 1 hope the whole time. Lets you get an idea of the profile of certain hops without them being lost in there with other hops and grains.

In the near future, if you want to see what AG is about, you are more than welcome to come brew with me one day. I have a pretty simple( cheap ) set up that has knocked out some great beer so far.

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely have to try the DME, crystal, and single hop additions when I brew some of the recipes a second time. When you say to "Hop the whole time" do you mean you add it to the full boil time as shown on the recipe?

Thanks for the invitation to brew! I would definitely like to see what the AG process is all about, and see the equipment you have. I'll be in ATL the next couple of weekends, but will be free after that. If you want, send me a PM and we can work something out.

Thanks again....

Yeah, I would take the simple IPA recipe, and then instead of using... Magnum, Simcoe and centennial, I would simple sub it all out, and use Amarillo the whole time to the same IBU's listed, and at the same time additions.. Then I could get the profile and taste of a certain hop to know what to look for in the future when I'm putting recipes together.

Ahhh, cool deal. I'll have to do that next time, and thanks for the help. I'm brewing his Autmn Cherries Stout tomorrow, and cracking open my first Fairytale Ale tomorrow as well. Unfortunately, I joined the Taco Mac Passport (Brewniversity, aka money pit) club several years ago and have found it hard to stick to one style, so I am brewing as many different styles to see the grains/malts used. However, I was going to brew the IPA again soon, and I'll use your advice.

I just recently started using spring water in my batches instead of city water, and I'm curious to see the difference, if any, it makes.

Ahhh, cool deal. I'll have to do that next time, and thanks for the help. I'm brewing his Autmn Cherries Stout tomorrow, and cracking open my first Fairytale Ale tomorrow as well. Unfortunately, I joined the Taco Mac Passport (Brewniversity, aka money pit) club several years ago and have found it hard to stick to one style, so I am brewing as many different styles to see the grains/malts used. However, I was going to brew the IPA again soon, and I'll use your advice.

I just recently started using spring water in my batches instead of city water, and I'm curious to see the difference, if any, it makes.

I don't use the city water. However, it's not bad water. I brew outside, and the taste from the hose is nasty. I'm not going to fill water from inside to use outside. I go to the publix and fill my 5g water jugs for $1.50 and call it a day. I can adjust the water to the style I'm brewing from there. Beers taste better for it too

I brew outside as well (got a turkey fryer from home depot), and only use the hose for cleaning out my carboys. I hope the spring water is worth it...after doing some research I found that the Publix brand spring water is actually from a spring here in GA.

http://www.publix.com/wellness/food/nutrition-center/Bottled-Water.do

At 0.65 cents per gallon, you can't beat it. I'm hoping to see a difference in the beers. Did you always use bottled water? Here's a pic of the cherry porter I brewed today. I am adding the cherries Wednesday/Thursday and looking forward to cracking one open in 6/7 weeks. Any suggestions on what to brew next? So far I've done the Blondie, Sassafras IPA, Pumpkin, Fairytale Ale, ESB, and Autmn Cherries.

image.jpg

I have always used spring water. I used the 1 gal jugs of Publix spring water for every brew, up until I moved to all grain. Then I started filling my 5 gal jugs at the Glacier machine in the publix. $1.50 for 5 gals of RO, filtered water, and it taste good too. Had great luck with it so far.

I'm brewing a 1.105 Oatmeal Coffee Stout tomorrow! Pretty excited about it.

If you want a good brew, and I think he has an extract recipe for it as well.. The Oatmeal Porter he has is excellent.. Very good beer!

Woah! I would be excited about that, too. @ 1.105 that's going to be a great cold weather brew, or if you're like me...a great sipping brew for any occasion!! I finished at 1.070 with the cherry stout.

I was wondering about the RO water. I've heard good and bad about it on this site. Some people claim you need the minerals and some don't. So I erred to the side of minerals. Btw, let me know how your coffee stout turns out. Are you going to cellar any? I've been cellaring commercial beers for years, and love the changes that happen over time. That's part of the reason I wanted to brew a high ABV stout.

Woah! I would be excited about that, too. @ 1.105 that's going to be a great cold weather brew, or if you're like me...a great sipping brew for any occasion!! I finished at 1.070 with the cherry stout.

I was wondering about the RO water. I've heard good and bad about it on this site. Some people claim you need the minerals and some don't. So I erred to the side of minerals. Btw, let me know how your coffee stout turns out. Are you going to cellar any? I've been cellaring commercial beers for years, and love the changes that happen over time. That's part of the reason I wanted to brew a high ABV stout.

Yeah, it's the biggest I've brewed by far, in terms of starting gravity. Biggest all grain for sure. It'll be a "whenever" beer, but will be nice around Christmas maybe, and into the new year. I think our winter will be MUCH colder than last year so this will be nice to sip on and warm up with perhaps!

The RO is good to start with a blank slate. I'll add baking soda, or gypsum and get the water where I think it should be. I've also brewed with it straight and it's fine in the darker beers, I think. My IPA's I add gypsum to the water to make the hops really shine through.

I plan to cellar some as well. I have plenty of commercial beers I've been sitting on, some I can't wait and I drink and others I have enough and forget about it.

Check out the porter recipe Doug has though. I think it's his main porter recipe, has oatmeal in it.. It's a partial mash type of recipe, but really easy to do in extract. Runs around 6% I think, maybe 6.5%. Smooth beer for sure, and it one of his better ones IMO.

I hear ya, on the colder winter. It would be a great change from last year...I was in t-shirt taking down Christmas lights last year! Even though I don't have any high ABV brews to get me through the colder weather, I've got a few in the cellar to break out, lol. And I'll have to get some brewed this year to tuck away!

Thanks for the tips on the water, and I hear ya on the cellared beers. Sometimes it's hard to wait them out, and it was even harder before the passed the law for Sunday sales! Too many times I've been low on beer, and tempted to break into the cellar on a Sunday, but no more! Lol.

I'll definitely check out the porter recipe, and see what it's all about. It sounds like a good fire pit beer!

Oh yeah, if the alcohol was higher, it would be a killer fire pit beer.. I enjoy chuggin one down after work when I get home. Hit the keggerator up and pull pint.

He doesn't really have any "huge" beers. Biggest I think is like 9% for a big porter, and I think like mid 7% for an IPA that has won awards. I'm tempted to take that grain bill next time I brew an IPA and bastardize it a bit..

However, I have a pretty basic IPA grain recipe I made up pretty much and it's unreal good. Best to date, and my buddies rave over it.

I use Newnan water and have from the beginning. Ive never had an issue. Even when I switched to all grain about 2 years ago.

I usually end up brewing during the week since my schedule is so messed up. Ive drastically cut down on my brewing lately, we are getting ready to sell and build on some land we have in Moreland. So I'm usually only brewing once a month, if that, and I've been in a session or just above session beer mood. I don't like waiting long for the beer and go the crazy experimental brewing out of my system. I do like to brew a nice cascadian ipa or bock ever so often.

Here is a list of Doug's recipes Ive brewed.
The CLT
Fall Oktoberfest Ale
Sir Hopsalot (used grain base but used all Citra)
Bottle Of "Jack"
Golden Zatec Ale
Extra Pale Ale 420
American Blondie
Lazy Days (used grain base but added blueberry extract)

My top 3 in order are The CLT, Fall Oktoberfest Ale, and Bottle Of "Jack". I really just got into recipe building and come up with my own after I got the hang of brewing.

Oh yeah, if the alcohol was higher, it would be a killer fire pit beer.. I enjoy chuggin one down after work when I get home. Hit the keggerator up and pull pint.

He doesn't really have any "huge" beers. Biggest I think is like 9% for a big porter, and I think like mid 7% for an IPA that has won awards. I'm tempted to take that grain bill next time I brew an IPA and bastardize it a bit..

However, I have a pretty basic IPA grain recipe I made up pretty much and it's unreal good. Best to date, and my buddies rave over it.

I hear ya...I love to come home and crack open a beer or two. I've definitely got to get a kegerator setup so I can start getting the draught experience, but I think that will be awhile.

Yeah, I believe I know the porter you're speaking of. I was thinking of brewing that one Decemberish. I definitely wish he had more 11-12% beers. Let me know how the bastardizing goes.

I use Newnan water and have from the beginning. Ive never had an issue. Even when I switched to all grain about 2 years ago.

I usually end up brewing during the week since my schedule is so messed up. Ive drastically cut down on my brewing lately, we are getting ready to sell and build on some land we have in Moreland. So I'm usually only brewing once a month, if that, and I've been in a session or just above session beer mood. I don't like waiting long for the beer and go the crazy experimental brewing out of my system. I do like to brew a nice cascadian ipa or bock ever so often.

Here is a list of Doug's recipes Ive brewed.
The CLT
Fall Oktoberfest Ale
Sir Hopsalot (used grain base but used all Citra)
Bottle Of "Jack"
Golden Zatec Ale
Extra Pale Ale 420
American Blondie
Lazy Days (used grain base but added blueberry extract)

My top 3 in order are The CLT, Fall Oktoberfest Ale, and Bottle Of "Jack". I really just got into recipe building and come up with my own after I got the hang of brewing.

Thanks for the information on the city water. I'm interested in seeing how the last two beers I brewed with spring water vs. the ones with city water. Doug's recipes are pretty good, but I'm interested in tweaking them a bit.

Back