Irish Red/Orange?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardyexfor

Reaction score
Heres the recipe:
Marris Otter 10#
Carared 1#
Crystal 80 12oz.
Crystal 60 12oz
Victory 8oz
Roasted Barley 2oz

Hops Schedule:
60 min .5oz ea Fuggles & Willamette
30 min .5oz ea Fuggles & Wilaamette
5 min .5oz ea Fuggles & Willamette

Mash @ 153
Ferment @ 68

Yeast:
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale Yeast
1.5L Starter w/ Stirplate

I hit my efficiency big time on this one 79%
OG = 1.07
FG = 1.012

Pulled 6.5 Gal and boiled down to 5.25

This beer has been going for 2 wks + 2 days. I took a hydro sample today to check the FG and it finished dryer than I wanted to. I was really hoping for a hint of caramel/toffee flavor. That's my first issue. Second is the hydro sample is more of a golden orange color rather than red. I figured the jar may have been at fault because of thinning the beer, so I poured it into a small glass. Same thing. SRM was calculated at 18.5 with beersmith which is at the top of the scale for style.

So first is there any way to add in the hint of caramel/toffee I wanted? Second, why did my beer turn out orange?

How could beersmith say 18.5 then? How would it miscalculate it so? As per the post I fermented at 68 (~64 ambient)

you have some wrong numbers plugged into beersmith. i use it too, and it does me right. i've looked up the lovibond of all malts i use, and plugged them in.

You made me paranoid so I double checked with the brewers friend calculator = 17.87. I assume you thought I was doing 10 Gal? That is closer to your calculation. My batch was 6.5 preboil and 5.25 post boil.

Anyone else? Ive read maybe Sinamar will add some color... Also maybe lactose for sweetness? Will this just add in a sugary sweetness or bring out the natural sweetness from the malts? Or should I just let it ride?

Color turned out fine once it was in a pint. Also the flavor completely changed and ended up tasting almost two sweet at first. A couple weeks conditioning and this was friggin awesome. Roasty, toasty, slightly sweet with a perfect hint of hops. Delicious.

Back