3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the brewpub a week ago and had this on tap, glad I just brewed this up tonight. I cut back on the IBUs a bit to enter into a comp. At 3 Floyds pale ales are IPAs and IPAs are IIPAs and IIPAs are just insane.

Made this recipe a few weeks ago with S-04. It's been in the keg for 2 weeks now and it tastes like straight up mango juice. It's crazy fruity and extremely tasty.

I didn't had crystal 60, only Crystal 40 on hand. So I added 4 oz of amber malt to compensate and now kicking myself for doing that since it came out little darker than it should. Wort also smelled slightly toasty. Did i ruin the batch? What should I expect?

paraordnance said:
I didn't had crystal 60, only Crystal 40 on hand. So I added 4 oz of amber malt to compensate and now kicking myself for doing that since it came out little darker than it should. Wort also smelled slightly toasty. Did i ruin the batch? What should I expect?

I just replied in the other thread, but you will be fine. No way 4oz of amber will overcome the Citra in this one. It will be great..Report back with results though!

I will reply once its ready. I also used CMC Superior Pale Ale malt instead of basic 2 row, since I have 100 lbs of it. Thats why my color is so dark. I can't see through carboy. I searched the web about amber malt and found people saying it is good in IPA as well, so I think it should turn out ok.

Hey all,

Just pulled my first pint of this

Og 1.063
Fg. 1.015

Wyeast1968 mashed at 149.

3.5 week primary and then straight to the keg.

My only change to the original was increasing the FWH to 1 oz.... I got carried away.

I have never had zombie dust, mainly due to its lack of availability in my area, but I can tell you that this is the best PA/IPA I have ever made.

Incredible, and its only been on co2 for 5 days.

Big up to skeezer for the recipe. This will certainly be a regular in my house.

Just bottled this.
The S-04 yeast finished at 1.015. I got about a 5.9-6% abv brew.
It was pretty tasty as people have said, I'm afraid my future brews will pale in comparison of this recipe.

This brew ages very well. For those who think it might be too hoppy, I suggest giving it more time and drinking it very cold.

First time posting but long time lurker. I find it hard to participate because I'm not experienced enough to give advice and all my questions are answered through searches here. I brewed this zombie Dust and after two weeks in the keg I just poured myself a couple today and felt inclined to say WOW. Nice job with the recipe. This is what home brewing is all about. Thanks to all. Hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

I would really like to try this recipe but I have one concern. Has anyone had any of this sitting around longer than a month or so? I dry hopped an APA with some citra, and for the first week or so it was great with big in your face mango flavor. After that, I somehow acquired a strange off flavor that I think may have come from the citra... Not quite sure. Harsh, not so pleasant bitter that left a strange aftertaste. I have nuked that keg with bleach and starsan, just to make sure was not something infection like lurking in the keg.

You guys have any experiences similar to this with your ZD attempts?

First time posting but long time lurker. I find it hard to participate because I'm not experienced enough to give advice and all my questions are answered through searches here. I brewed this zombie Dust and after two weeks in the keg I just poured myself a couple today and felt inclined to say WOW. Nice job with the recipe. This is what home brewing is all about. Thanks to all. Hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

Excellent to hear that!:mug: This forum has been such a great resource for me, and with people like Skeezer whipping up these great recipes it's no wonder.
The search feature is great and I use it all the time, but don't hesitate to post any questions you have. I'm not an expert brewer by any means, but I'm always happy to answer any questions that I can.

Just tried this after a week carbing in the keg. Oh it is good. It is very good. Citra punch to the face good.

Oh I can't wait to try this one as well! Although a lil intimidated by dry hopping which I've never done- just more development of my hobby though!

I have this sitting in secondary with 3oz of dry whole hops and cannot wait for it to be finished up.

I have been thinking about reusing the citra, is this possible? Can I dump out the 3oz and reuse that for making another batch or is all the citra goodness used up? It would be nice to be able to save 3ozs and possibly get a 3rd batch out of the 18ozs I bought..

I have seen a couple threads about people re-using hops for bittering, but have never done it before. A lot of the flavor/aroma oils may be gone. Did you try searching for re-using hops and the results? I am on my phone or I would try to find a link.

Whitehause/MrTheKing- I am glad you liked the recipe. Enjoy.

I have seen a couple threads about people re-using hops for bittering, but have never done it before. A lot of the flavor/aroma oils may be gone. Did you try searching for re-using hops and the results? I am on my phone or I would try to find a link.

I did a search and got a lot of mixed results. Some say that there is no diminishment of the hops as long as they are used in a timely manner, others say add 20% and some said that it cant be done. I think I will freeze the 3oz from this batch and the 3 from the next and use the 6 to make a 3rd batch, that way I wont be wasting the new hops if it doesnt work out well. If I dont have an additional 3oz to dry hop the 3rd batch I might try something else like Cascade or something.

Sounds like a plan, report back when you do it. I am interested in this, as sooner or later my citra stash will become too small. If you have it, or can get it falconers 7cs may be a good option to try. It is a blend of all the Cs and worked well in an all 7cs batch I did awhile back.

Just brewed another batch of this yesterday, but screwed up my hop additions.
Last time I did a .5 oz at FWH, with .75 oz 15,10,5,1 minute addition.
I added in a .75 oz 20 minute addition taking ibus from 65 to 94 ibus. (come to think of it I might have done this on my previous batch as well)
The hydrometer sample didn't taste THAT hoppy before I pitched the yeast.
Maybe I just brewed a citra IPA by accident haha.

Haha it should still be fantastic IMO. Those FWH's really smooth out the bitterness. Isn't Zombie Dust in between an APA and an IPA anyways?

Yeah zombie dust blurs the line for sure, or at least what I've read. We can't get it down here. I also did a late extract addition on both recipes. So I'm really wondering if beersmith's calculations are really that accurate for IBUs when you choose that, but of course Citra does not have that harsh bitterness due to low cohumolone. I think I just found a new favorite hop!

image-763788358.jpg

I finally made the 3+ hour trip to Three Floyd's today. Man was it worth it. The food was awesome. I had the Scotch Egg and 16 hour smoked Brisket. I came back with some ZD and Alpha King to compare my last batches to. They have been in the bottle for 2 weeks and aren't quite carbed up yet.
I also got some cool glassware, a growler of Dreadnaught and 4 bombers of Live the Rich Life, which was incredible! Probably the best IIPA I've ever had. I don't know how to describe it other than, it was like Zombie Dust on Steroids and PCP. I can't wait to go back.

Attachments

• image-275481171.jpg
    image-275481171.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 2,363
That Live a Rich Life is great, but I didn't really detect the Belgian yeast they supposedly used. Just a good ol' American hop bomb.

skeezerpleezer said:
That Live a Rich Life is great, but I didn't really detect the Belgian yeast they supposedly used. Just a good ol' American hop bomb.

Me either, but that's ok! Not a huge fan of Belgian IPAs.

Brewing this one up AG tomorrow night. Using s-04 yeast. Any last minute suggestions or possible pitfalls? I milled the grains at the LHBS myself, and since their crush has been suspect in the past, I milled the 2 row twice. Batch sparging as well.

I brewed 5 gallons of all grain 3 weeks ago today. just took my first gravity and it's sitting at 1.017. Anyone got input on where theirs finished? I hit all my temps and fermented at 68F.

The beer is extremely clear and smells great, perhaps a little sweet though.

Regards,
Brobe

Mine finish around there with the English yeasts, maybe even a point or 2 higher. Assuming you hit the 1.065, that is about 74% attenuation, so normal.

I brewed 5 gallons of all grain 3 weeks ago today. just took my first gravity and it's sitting at 1.017. Anyone got input on where theirs finished? I hit all my temps and fermented at 68F.

Regards,
Brobe

mine finished at about 1.012/1.013 with S-04. I fermed at 62 ambient.

This beer is very unique from other IPA's i've had. I'm thinking about making this one of next ones. It's hard to believe it's all Citra, guess I'll have to try it out and see for myself.

Regards,
Brobe

1.012 with a big starter of 1056, 62* the whole way through.

I know the questionable relevance, but Im noobish to homebrewing- I want to brew the extract version of Zombie Dust but am having trouble finding vendors that supply in appropriate quantities. I.E. I want to buy 1 lb of Munich Malt instead of 3 or 4 and deal with left overs and so on, any suggestions for a vendor?

Austin Homebrew lets you do fractional amounts and so does Brewmasters Warehouse. I'm sure many others do as well. Just Google those if you want to check them out.

Holy hops Batman! Brewed this yesterday and with fermentation bubbling away in my basement back closet, the whole basement smells like Citra... and I even cut out 3/4 oz at the 15min addition to drop the IBU down to 47. SWMBO came downstairs this morning and noticed it right away. I'm not a hop-head, so this will be quite the stretch for me. At least it gave me a chance to both do some hop-bursting for the first time as well as finally try brewing with Citra.

Wow! This is probably the best beer I have ever made, and I have made exactly 76 batches. Hoppy goodness. Not too bitter. CITRA!

Note to self: Don't tell everyone you know about your Zombie Dust Clone; they will take it all away from you. Only three bottles left!

I brewed this up today and hit the numbers dead nuts on. I'm lucky enough to be very near 3F's and can drive over and get Zombie when I need to...Which I will be doing soon to compare.

That said, I've seen a lot of people say it's good...but I've not found someone who has had ZD and how it compares to this. I guess I can comment in 3 weeks or so but hoping to hear some triangle tasting notes. :)

Back