Is my beer ruined? FG off by quite a bit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmita

Reaction score
I used the pumpkin recipe and ordered my ingredients from Brewmasters Warehouse http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/887c158f/ and followed the instructions from https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/thunderstruck-pumpkin-ale-ag-extract-versions-26699/ however I only used 5 gallons since that's what I was instructed to do and that's what the recipe stated on the Brewmasters website. Now, after my beer has been ferminting in the primary for a week in a half, my final gravity is off quite a bit from what the Brewmasters website shows which is 1.022. The homebrek talk instructions say that my FG should be 1.015 and my actual FG is around 1.013. Can anyone help? I am not sure if there is anything wrong and if so if there is anything I can do to fix it. There was a lot of sludge at the bottom of around 3 inches so I only have about 4 and a quarter gallons. Please let me know if anyone has any advice or ideas.

It's possible that if you added water to the carboy to top it off, that the water sitting on top would dilute the gravity reading.

Thanks for the reply however I didn't add water. I did add less then a cup with the pumpkin pie spice which was in the recipe when I moved it over to the secondary from primary.

once again I cringe when I find threads like this where people are seriously worried about 2 gravity points when the error introduced by the human element alone is about that. please stop worrying about 2 gravity points people....you're going to have an aneurism.

Which is your FG? 1.013? If so you are absolutely, 100% fine.

That said, if your FG is 1.022 you are absolutely, 100% fine.

Either way, give it another week or two in the primary. In the meantime: RDWAHAHB.

seriously though...if the hbt instructions say 1.015 and you got 1.013...you won. dont worry about it.

My FG is right around 1.013. I was only asking because on the Brewmasters Warehouse website it showed 1.022 as what the FG is supposed to be. Ok, so either way you guys are saying it is fine I guess. I just don't understand that different places have such a wide range. Thanks for the help!

there are so many variables.....even if it is a kit from a reputable supply store...the OG and FG readings even for extract batches are usually indicated in "ranges"...not the absolute perfect number that you MUST HIT every time. with all grain kits, this number can vary even more with how efficient the brewers equipment/techniques are.

The difference is the starting gravity--did you measure yours? Yuri's recipe calculated for a 1.053 OG (for a six gallon batch) and HBW calculated 1.065 with the same ingredients for a 5 gallon batch. Did you make a 5 or 6 G batch?

At any rate, there's no way to exactly calculate how efficient a yeast will be--you can only make an estimate. If you followed Yuri's HBT recipe (and his volumes) then your 1.013 is perfect.

At any rate, never sweat an F.G. if it's finished. You've definitely made beer. Congratulations!

Back