Brewing kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junior45036

Reaction score
So I am looking to get started homebrewing. Im not sure where to start but I have around $300 and want a good homebrewing kit. Any ideas?

I started with the deluxe kit from homebrew heaven and its worked out fine. Basically youll need a pot. Maybe 2 six gallon fermenters. some tubing Bottles. caps. and SANITIZER

Thanks for the info. I drink bud light, any ideas on ingredient kits that are similar?

Take $200 of that and buy yourself a damn nice kettle. The other $100 will get you a fermenting bucket, some caps, emily capper, autosyphon, hydrometer, Starsan, e etc. The kettle IS the brew setup

Do yourself a favor and try some commercial imports...so that way when you go to your local brew supply store, to buy an ingredient kit, you will have an idea of the different beer styles and flavor, color, aroma descriptions... And it will give you a chance to ..." not drink" Bud Light"...it really is a crappy rice beer...sorry to be so blunt

It is swill, but if you enjoy drinking it, don't let anyone tell you not to!

I co-own a home brew shop in Indianapolis, Tuxedo Park Brewers Supply. We sell equipment kits too, although to be honest, every retailer seems to have something that would work. It all depends on how much you want to spend vs. what kind of brewing and quality you want. I would recommend making sure you can do all grain batches, which you can do most cheap with a kettle and the "brew in the bag" type of batch.

As for beer *like* Bud Light, try a Kolsch or Blonde. Koslch has a specific yeast variety that ferments clean, crisp and lager like in the low 60's. It produces a distinctly lager like beer in ale time and conditions. With a Blonde you'll likely have a fruitier finish and a maltier backbone, someone not at all like Bud Light (thought the color will be right on). Check out our Kolsch kit, and be sure to upgrade to kolsch yeast to nail the flavor. BTW, we are not "out of stock" as the page might suggest.

I'd be happy to help more if you want, just drop a line.

Good luck!

Jason
Tuxedo Park Brewers Supply
jason-at-tuxedoparkbrewers.com
http://www.tuxedoparkbrewers.com/

I'd start cheap and spend most of the money on ingredients or kits. After you have a dozen brews behind you knowing what you really need will become evident.

Buy $300 worth of Bud Light.

Why go through all the trouble of trying to brew Bud Light when you can just purchase it off the shelves with no effort and a fraction of the cost?

I somehow missed the bud light comment...
I'm not sure if you'll be satisfied with homebrew if you are accustomed to and enjoy the taste of BL. You can try to brew a light american lager, but it is actually an extremely challenging style with water chemistry, yeast health and precise fermentation control being imparative. You will probably fail many times before you brew something close. This beer really lends itself to industrial technique. Or you could just start off brewing a cream ale, and realize that BL is piss.

Back