Compression Fitting with copper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddknight

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the process of building a HERMS coil for my HLT and was wondering is the copper is too soft to use a 1/2" SS compression fitting to attach it to the kettle wall. I have two of the SS compression fittings on hand and didn't know if it would crimp the copper or if there was a trick to using it before I tried it myself and ruined it.

Make your life easier and replace the metal ferrules with two #111 orings stacked up. You can get a good seal practically by hand tightening and you don't end up crimping the tubing.

Thanks man! I think I found those on McMaster Carr and can order them tonight. That would work a lot better than trying to fuss with that ferrule! Hopefully can work on this over the weekend!

I have two of the SS compression fittings on hand and didn't know if it would crimp the copper or if there was a trick to using it before I tried it myself and ruined it.

AFAIK compression fittings are supposed to crimp the ferule onto the tube and this is where you get you seal. Once you have tighten them once you shouldn't be able to take the ferule off the tube. I wouldn't expect to have a problme with the SS fittings crimping down on copper more than it would on SS tube.

I used the ones suggested by Bobby. I have had no problems since I did it that way. Seems to work fine and I had no stress about worrying if the was any crimping of the copper.

Yes, the normal metal ferrules do compress against the tubing and it becomes a part of the tubing mechanically. That's the beauty of using orings instead. It's reversible and non-damaging to the tubing.

I like the idea of not using the metal, but what about the nylon ferrules? Seems like nylon is food grade and rated for hi temps, heck we use nylon bags for hops.

My 5/8 fitting I ordered came with a nylon ferrule. I ordered the 109 and 111 from mcmaster anyways. I am building an electric brewery like Kals, whats $20.

Thanks for all the help. Would love to tour Overbrook brewery someday if you are open to tours :)

sorry to dig up an old thread but does using o-rings as ferrules lock the tube in place, or can the tube be pulled out?

Back