Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fretman124 said:
I started what I thought was a 5 gallon carboy of apfelwine the Thursday before the Superbowl. I put it behind the couch and haven't even looked at it since. When I pulled the bottle out last night, it had magically grown into a 6 gallon carboy. It is nice and clear, tho

Now, I'll admit to being a little buzzed the night I made this. I'm also older than dirt. I know I bought 6 gallons of apple juice, but that was because the wife wanted some for drinking.

I followed the recipe, except for a couple little things. I used 2 lbs dark brown sugar and EC-1118 yeast and apparently topped up to 6 gallons. My wife said she had less than a half a gallon of apple juice to drink after my "expirment"

I'm assuming that it will come out extremely dry. I was planning on bottling this weekend. I was thinking rack it to another carboy, add some campden (how much?) then add cornsugar to sweeten it up to about 1.002. Bottle and age till summer.

OR...should I add the cornsugar (I have 1 lb) and let that ferment down to the level I want then kill it.

Will this work, or do I pour it in the compost bin and start over.

Thanks for the hep

Definately DON"T Compost it.....

I would let it finish out on its own. No camden and no extra sugar. Give it a try as is. Since you have 5 gallons, you can rack out various amounts and play with it a little.

Your next step depends on you plan to drink it, sparkling or still. Carb it like beer, 1 oz corn sugar/gal.

If you want to sweeten it I think it might be easier to use 1lb of lactose with your corn sugar at bottling and/or priming.

I don't have experience with camden tablets. If want to do that I have heard 1 or 2 tablets do the job. You may have to mix the crap out of it to get the sulfur gas out or rack once or twice to get it to gas-out. Maybe somebody else can chime in on this...

XELA said:
jus put mine in secondary and im pretty sure its done fermenting after 2 weeks

drank some out of the bucket (which i learned isnt easy an now have it al down my top) and it was sour and had quite a strong alcohol flavour

think for my next one ill make it less strong and not use cloudy apple juice!

LOL - Next time try a glass too!!! :D

How much sampling did you do before deciding to drink from the bucket? :drunk:

I could see myself doing this.... SWMBO would have to out of the house before even considering trying this!!!! I would try using the spigot first.

Ed - Does this meet the three drink minimum?? :D

I love how stupid easy this stuff is to make...

IMG_1488s.JPG

40 DAYS AND COUNTING ;)

Got the greatest compliment on the cider on Friday night.

I went to a friends house, and brought along a 1/2 gallon growler which I had previously bottled (from the same bucket as my 12/22oz bottles) to share with the couple who we were visiting.

The wife half of the couple said, "I'll try it, but I don't like cider... it tastes like beer." After a sample of mine, she immediately poured a second glass. :ban:

I wish I had brought two bottles! :tank:

Mine is sweetened with 1# lactose in 4 gallons of orchard purchased cider (unpasturized), which I heated to 180F for 20 min.

My 2nd batch (need to open a bottle) was made on the yeast cake from the first, but made with 5 gallons of supermarket juice, and sweetened the same way as the first. Can't wait to try this one! :rockin:

For those that don't like dry wine, try it the way we did it with Juice and Concentrate only, no added Dextrose... It's not overly dry. I don't like wine but this stuff is great... I didn't need the 3 glass rule

fretman124 said:
I started what I thought was a 5 gallon carboy of apfelwine the Thursday before the Superbowl. I put it behind the couch and haven't even looked at it since. When I pulled the bottle out last night, it had magically grown into a 6 gallon carboy. It is nice and clear, tho

Now, I'll admit to being a little buzzed the night I made this. I'm also older than dirt. I know I bought 6 gallons of apple juice, but that was because the wife wanted some for drinking.

I followed the recipe, except for a couple little things. I used 2 lbs dark brown sugar and EC-1118 yeast and apparently topped up to 6 gallons. My wife said she had less than a half a gallon of apple juice to drink after my "expirment"

I'm assuming that it will come out extremely dry. I was planning on bottling this weekend. I was thinking rack it to another carboy, add some campden (how much?) then add cornsugar to sweeten it up to about 1.002. Bottle and age till summer.

OR...should I add the cornsugar (I have 1 lb) and let that ferment down to the level I want then kill it.

Will this work, or do I pour it in the compost bin and start over.

Thanks for the hep

Okay.........I bottled this stuff last night. It tastes like sour watered down thin apple juice with a crapload of rocket fuel in it. I expected the rocket fuel using EC-118 and expect that to mellow with age, but the watered down flavor was very unexpected.

I know nothing of lactose. It was mentioned to add a pound at bottling. Can I pour it back into a carboy, add lactose, (or dextrose) mix it up and bottle again?

Betchya can't tell I'm a noob that doesn't follow directions very well, can ya:eek:

fretman124 said:
Betchya can't tell I'm a noob that doesn't follow directions very well, can ya:eek:

Didja follow the three glass rule? Now drink 3 pints of that stuff and then tell us how it tastes. :cross:

I loved that " I followed the recipe, except for a couple little things." part. :D

I'd let it age for at least a month at this point.

fretman124 said:
Okay.........I bottled this stuff last night. It tastes like sour watered down thin apple juice with a crapload of rocket fuel in it. I expected the rocket fuel using EC-118 and expect that to mellow with age, but the watered down flavor was very unexpected.

I know nothing of lactose. It was mentioned to add a pound at bottling. Can I pour it back into a carboy, add lactose, (or dextrose) mix it up and bottle again?

I used four cups of splenda when I bottled mine and my SWMBO liked it. Sweetened it up nice.

My original recipe was 4 gallons and 1/2 lb brown sugar. I like to wait until bottling time to determine how much to back-sweeten.

Here's a cool video of [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz4Qkp-HVfE"]my latest batch,[/ame] 12 hours post-yeast-pitch. This was just plain apple juice and ale yeast. I'll use splenda again to sweeten. Check out the dancing yeast.

so I haven't gotten a chance to go to the grocery and get any more apple juice, so I still haven't divided my brew.... but.... it started fermenting, sure it was about 6 days behind schedule, but it's really ticking the airlock now, about 1 or 2 a second. I'm going to have to monitor it closely I guess to make sure it doesn't ferment out all that sugar.

I still plan on dividing it and adding some dilution apple juice, but at least it's fermenting!

sirsloop said:
I love how stupid easy this stuff is to make...

IMG_1488s.JPG

40 DAYS AND COUNTING ;)

would be alot easier if i could fine apple juice in those bottles (i had to buy it in litre cartons)

anyone livin in england know of a good place to buy apple juice? liddle was no good when i tried it

fretman124 said:

Dexdtrose will ferment into alcohol. Lactose will not ferment, just sweeten. Make sure you use the right one.

Let me first state that I'm not usually in this big a hurry, and I know better.

But, this thing's been fermenting going on 7-8 weeks soon. I've tasted it and it's fantastic! It is very clear (see through) and yet it is still bubbling.

I like the taste now and know it's close to done. Be nice, really nice, to have it on tap for St. Patty's day this weekend.

If.. if I decided to just go ahead and keg it tonight, is there anything I should worry about?

Orpheus said:
If.. if I decided to just go ahead and keg it tonight, is there anything I should worry about?

Yeah, LOTS to worry about....like you lying on the floor under your fermenter with the racking hose stuck in your mouth enjoying this fabulous libation till you pass out and drown...Be very careful. :cross:

I been there man. No worries, it's surviveable...

btw, I just popped a bottle of apfelwein from two months ago...bliss. Everything balanced out nicely, and was bloody refreshing cold. It was still, which wasn't all that bad, but once I figure out how to carb without a keg system (i.e. in bottles w/ sugar) I'll give that a whirl.

i've said it before, but props ed, you've opened my eyes to all things fermentable...

mike

Ed - I'm in the same boat as Orpheus. Mine is at 9 weeks, clear and still bubbling...

.......If my stuff is 1.000 or less should I bottle?

MLynchLtd - Did you try carbing or did you go the still route? I'm contemplating whether I should prime along with my other pack of Monty.

Schlenkerla said:
.......If my stuff is 1.000 or less should I bottle?.

Yeah, go ahead. I have one from Jan. 16th that is still bubbling. I'll keg that one this weekend. That'll be two months old.

At 4 weeks, it's drinkable, but with patience, it just gets better. That why you need multiple carboys. Multiple carboys = increased patience ability. :cross:

What is the average Carb time on Apfelwein?

Will there be any taste issues if I break into it a little early, its been carbing for about 8 days.

I carb mine for a week at 12 psi. I have not bottle conditioned it, though loads of other folks have. They'll chime in here soon.

I've always waited 4 weeks before tasting, but go ahead, try some and let us know.

BoxerDog said:
What is the average Carb time on Apfelwein?

Will there be any taste issues if I break into it a little early, its been carbing for about 8 days.

I've heard 3 weeks. The taste issue is if you break into it early there's nothing left to taste when it should be fully carbed!!!:D

Mine doesn't seem to be clearing.

I 'brewed' it 6.5 weeks ago, and heated about 1/2 gallon of the apple juice to dissolve 2lbs of dextrose and 1lb honey, I may have boiled, can't remember. I am afraid that I may have set the pectins and that is causing the cloudiness. It stopped fermenting about 2 weeks ago, and has cleared a little, but not to the extent I would have expected.

SG is 1.002, and it tasted like apple champagne. Should I bottle this weekend?

I am planning on bottling a few 22oz'ers w/out priming, then priming, and bottling about 2 gallons worth of bottles, then back sweetening with lactose for the last 2 gallons to figure out which I like best for future batches.

If you used Montrachet yeast, the only variables are the honey and that you heated some. I don't know if honey is 100% fermentable, but if it is not, then go ahead and bottle if you want. Letting it sit in the carboy longer won't hurt it either. I have some going on 2 months, but I'll keg those this weekend.

Honey takes a while to clear, mead is infamous for that. You can try to cold stabilize and rack off the sediment, but I personally have found that only a hell of a lot of time makes honey clear. Also beware of renewed ferments. My honey-pom wine is hella carbonated now, though it was still when I bottled it. Thank god for swingtops, they sound like a gun going off when I pop them to relieve pressure.

mike

MLynchLtd said:
Honey takes a while to clear, mead is infamous for that. You can try to cold stabilize and rack off the sediment, but I personally have found that only a hell of a lot of time makes honey clear. Also beware of renewed ferments. My honey-pom wine is hella carbonated now, though it was still when I bottled it. Thank god for swingtops, they sound like a gun going off when I pop them to relieve pressure.

mike

I'm glad you said that. I made a honey blueberry beer that took almost 6-7 months to clear. It was never super clear.

I never thought it was the honey, I was thinking it was the fruit. hmmm.

Man oh man what a day... we celebrated St. Patrick's Day yesterday instead of today... after drinking... well alot of beer, i thought eh how about some apfelwein... Would have been fine, but i poured a liter of it and drank it all... Whatever you do, DON'T mix wine with beer, and DON'T drink a liter of it... Talk about a ****ty hangover...

DeadYetiBrew said:
Man oh man what a day... we celebrated St. Patrick's Day yesterday instead of today... after drinking... well alot of beer, i thought eh how about some apfelwein... Would have been fine, but i poured a liter of it and drank it all... Whatever you do, DON'T mix wine with beer, and DON'T drink a liter of it... Talk about a ****ty hangover...

I would say a liter of Apfelwein is enough to get you feeling less than 100% on the next day.

12oz beer @ 3.8%ABV = .46 oz of alcohol

32oz Apfelwein @ 8.5%ABV = 2.72 oz alcohol

2.72/4.6= 5.9​

Therefore one liter of apfelwein is equivalent of 6 beers. So add this to whatever you drank beer-wise.

My recomendation....chug some water and grab another liter of Apfelwein. :D

Well, my first batch, following the recipe to the T, turned out great :) But I'm thinking of adding a little sweetness for the next batch. I'm thinking 2 pounds of corn sugar again for the alcohol boost, plus a pound of lactose for sweetening. Sound good? Also, can I just add the lactose along with the rest of the ingredients at the beginning, since it doesn't ferment? Thanks!

This is one of those recipes that just begs to be tried by newbies like myself.
Seems pretty easy and I have 2 empty carboys which I believe is considered a sin in the homebrew world isn't it...;)

I think I'll give this a try this week...

Had some guests over last night to celebrate. We got into the Apfelwein.

I called it cider, as I figured who the hell would know what apfelwein is anyways.

A couple pints in, this guy says, "Man this tastes just like this stuff I used to drink when I was stationed in Germany.. Apfelwein."

I laughed my ass off.:mug:

Orpheus said:
A couple pints in, this guy says, "Man this tastes just like this stuff I used to drink when I was stationed in Germany.. Apfelwein."

There ya go. Independent Validation! Sounds like you had a great time! :mug:

I'm at the start of week 11. It measured at 1.004, so I'm gonna let sit for another week. My temp is now been at 60'F for a couple weeks, up from the mid 50's.

The taste was a little different than I expected. It had a subtle apple-beer like taste. I think some aging would help with that though. Kind of dry but not too dry like a batch I tasted made w/WL-775 Cider yeast. Not bad in my opinion, alcohol was pretty much undetectable.

SWMBO thought it was gross, but managed to get her to take two sips.

Getting her to drink three glasses now would require full body restraints. - :D

I'm guessin' I be using that 1-lb bag of lactose I bought this weekend.

Question: Has anybody noticed a flavor change after being fully carbed and chilled?

My other ciders have improved slightly with age, but they were cloudy when bottled. This stuff is pretty clear right now.

Schlenkerla said:
Question: Has anybody noticed a flavor change after being fully carbed and chilled?

Yeah, it tastes much better and disappears at a much higher rate. :cross:

All ciders can benefit from aging and this one does as well. It's kinda neat being able to drink it 5 weeks after starting, but if you have a few carboys laying around empty, it does not take much to keep an eye on the airlock once a week after fermentation is done.

BTW, I SWMBO just compared an imported UK cider called Dry Blackthorn Cider. No comparison. Mine won hands down. The Blackthorn was not very dry.

dmiller038 said:
Well, my first batch, following the recipe to the T, turned out great :) But I'm thinking of adding a little sweetness for the next batch. I'm thinking 2 pounds of corn sugar again for the alcohol boost, plus a pound of lactose for sweetening. Sound good? Also, can I just add the lactose along with the rest of the ingredients at the beginning, since it doesn't ferment? Thanks!
FWIW - I added Splenda and it did nice job of sweetening it up without the slight "thickening" I sometimes get with Lactose.

well EdWort all i can say is thanks again......the first batch was a huge hit.....pushed me to make a second.....and 3rd and 4th just got the stoppers and airlocks.....cant keep the stuff around. soon as the boys get a whiff i made a batch they seem to flock over to help with whatever project i got going on.....lol.....4th batch was a thank you to my cousins who helped me move last week.....
20 gallons and going strong
anthony

Preliator said:
well EdWort all i can say is thanks again......the first batch was a huge hit.....pushed me to make a second.....and 3rd and 4th just got the stoppers and airlocks.....cant keep the stuff around. soon as the boys get a whiff i made a batch they seem to flock over to help with whatever project i got going on.....lol.....4th batch was a thank you to my cousins who helped me move last week.....
20 gallons and going strong
anthony

You're quite welcome! I just put a new keg in the kegerator this morning. I had to defrost the sucker (I hate that about my Haier kegerator, but I love my triple tapper).

It's such a favorite, I'll always have it on tap. Key is to have several carboys going so you don't ever run out. Seems like you have that down pat! :D

Prost!

I plan on bottling this in 2 weeks. But I am going to run into a slight problem. I am short on bottles. SWMBO insists that buying a kegging system is NOT and I repeat NOT the way to solve this problem. IIRC in the hard lemonade thread there was talk about soda bottles. Is this a viable container for Apfelwein?

Back