Other hobbies besides homebrew..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeerNerd

Reaction score
I was just curious what else everyone on here is into besides homebrewing. I'm sure most people are like me and have more than one hobby...

Other things I enjoy are fixing old Volkswagens and motorcycles, playing music (ties into my career), digital art and I just recently started getting back into model rocketry. One day I also hope to a get a private pilot license.

What do you guys like to do?

Gardening, Tabletop miniature wargaming (and the modeling that accompanies it), tabletop role-playing games, computer games (especially World of Warcraft).

what don't i like to do may fit better...

carpentry (mostly furniture, but currently looking for a home to remodel and live in)
backpacking/hiking/camping
fly fishing
guns
gardening (like,eventually growing enough fruits/veggies that i won't have to buy any)
making soaps
volleyball
disc golf/ultimate frisbee
playing softball
watching baseball
mountain biking

I'm big into home renovations. Carpentry is something I dabbled in only days ago (and it was awesome).
I like to partake in photography (film and digital).
I am also a biology student, so I spend a lot of time in lab.

OK, really, I do computers and networks for fun, I also like Kayaking, jogging, and weight training... Don't mind mowing the lawn either. Only time I get to myself for 2 hours, no disturbances or interruptions. Well there was that one time...

artyboy -- like your blog! Gonna try your wine press soon.. just picked a few lbs of blueberries today, should have TONS more in a week or 2... and my cousin has a muscadine farm and is gonna hook me up with some to make some wine. Good info!

artyboy -- like your blog! Gonna try your wine press soon.. just picked a few lbs of blueberries today, should have TONS more in a week or 2... and my cousin has a muscadine farm and is gonna hook me up with some to make some wine. Good info!

Glad to hear that someone digs it :mug:

I'm really into snowmobiling to the point I have a successful side business selling parts and Accessories through my online store. Very expensive hobby because it it involves travel. I get a good deal on parts though. LOL.

I also have a cabin up north and enjoy Kayaking, Jeeping, fishing and hunting.

I like:
- reading posts on HBT and learning while I help others...:mug:
- penny whistle
- fishing and *camping.
- shooting things legally that are slower than 2000fps.
- cooking and eating things I shoot.
- to talk with SWMBO.

I used to be a big gamer and now not so much. I am looking forward to GuildWars2 but gave up all others.

* camping is an overnight fishing trip, where I get to sleep in the woods and drink as much beer as I want.

Chasing kids.

Camping with kids (not nearly often enough). Fishing with kids (see sidenote on camping). Gardening to feed kids.

Did I mention that I have kids?

I also like to cook, especially using locally grown stuff either from my garden or the farmer's market.

Once a year I raft the Gauley River with some buds. We also attend the random minor league baseball game. Watching and obsessing over UNC sports.

In addition to fermenting brew, I make tempeh, yogurt and sauerkraut. Photography, hiking, canoeing, gardening, all things outdoors and natural. Reading: politics and history. I'm LLLLLLLLLiberal.

Besides Brewing:
I have a small business building performance engines,
I occasionally get the bug to pick up a pad and pencil and do some drawing,
I carefully build RC airplanes, take them out and crash them on the first or second flight,
I enjoy going to the range and doing some shooting,
building an occasional black powder rifle,
trying to smoke the perfect ribs/brisket/pork/etc.
cooking and grilling.

Choking the chicken,
Poundin the pud,
Spankin the monkey,
Wankin the crank,
Slappin the salami,
Rollin the dough,
Squeezin the sleaz,
Strokin Odie and his two nutty buddies, . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Edit: Dancin the one eyed snake. . . . .

Just got back into brewing 10 mths ago, but I also enjoy...

Hunting
Shooting
just got back into gardening
Fishing
Cooking

I had a feeling there would be a few hunters, gardeners and fishers on here. Kinda goes hand in hand with brewing, you know providing for yourself etc.

cooking, Bluegrass music, Bagpipes, flyfishing, shooting, woodworking, gunsmithing, knife making...... wishing the heck I could retire so I could spend more time doing this stuff....

I hope home brewing becomes a hobby seeing as I haven't started yet, (seems a nice compliment to drinking craft beer!)

My main hobby has been bladesmithing (forging and crafting knives by hand) along with an interest in ferrous metallurgy, though the pressures of recent years have cut back on many activities I enjoy. Add hiking, reading and watching movies old and new to the list and most recently I've discovered the joys of grilling using hardwood lump charcoal.

Used to be into VW's - SWMBO effectively put an end to that. But she was the one who got me brewing, so not a bad trade off.

Also cooking, reading, running/sports, Virginia Tech sports, and dreaming of opening up my own business. (Hopefully in the next year or so!)

I'm involved with the local 1880's Vintage Recreation Base Ball Club, I'm one of the team's umpires. We wear period clothing.

Referee1.jpg

In my 20's and 30's I was heavily involved in the music industry locally, I was a live music producer for WDET, the Public Radio Station in Detroit, as well as doing freelance photography for local acts, I even helped open a jazz club. I still love live music and the summer music festival circuit in Michigan (except for this year with gas prices so high) you can usually find me at one of them on a weekend.

This is me with this incredible Irish rock Band, "The Screaming Orphans." (Check them out on myspace.) They kinda adopted me last summer....It sucks getting old...being looked up to as a "father figure" by four attractive young sisters from Ireland...Isn't quite the studly thing one thinks it is....

Festival_of_the_arts_2007_203.jpg

Although I haven't much in the last couple years, I used to be big into african drumming, and the whole drum circle thing. I even used to make drums and flutes. I even taught a couple workshops on spirituality and percussion. The coolest thing I ever did, was help my drum teacher lead a 500 person percussion circle at a world music festival.

medrumming.JPG

I love to cook, it's what got me into Brewing to begin with...(This pic is ime back n my cottage back in ministerial school, my housemate was just as much as a food geek as I was.) At one point I was going to try out for "be the next Food Network Star" when the show first came on, and before it became more about the "reality show" aspect than about finding people who could cook.

cooky.JPG

I'm also writing a book about the breweries in Michigan's thumb from the 1800's onward.

mainly cars. I love reading about them, seeing them, driving them, even doing my own maintenance. I used to have a 94 integra (great car), now I drive a 350z. If my wife is scared I know I'm driving well.

I also like tinkering around my house, pretty much with anything that needs fixed or improved. I'm a DIY kind of person which is probably why I like homebrewing so much.

Back