Rose hip Melomel/Metheglin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ndGenBrewer

Reaction score
Rose Hip Melomel/Metheglin

4 gallons water
1 lb of dried Rose hips
1 tbsp of lemon juice
1/2 oz of Irish moss
1 tsp of LD Carlson yeast nutrient
Lavin 71B-1122
15 lb of Ambrosia clover honey (from the west slope of Colorado)

I boiled the rose hips for about 30 minutes, removed from the heat and added the honey and boiled Irish moss. Once it cooled to room temp I added the lemon juice, nutrient and hydrated yeast.

That was back at the end of Feb. Since then the primary fermented out and I racked it into a glass carboy. It still has a "fire water" flavor but turned out nice and dry and gets more floral notes every day.

I'll post pictures as soon as I can. I would appreciate any comments.

RoseHip.JPG

Very curious to hear how this turned out/is developing. SWMBO recently asked me if I knew of any recipes that incorporated rose hips.

Well... I racked it back in June and it had a strange almost "soapy" texture. To be on safe side when I racked it I added 4 tabs of campden. I taste pretty good but is still atringent. I plan on letting it bulk age till November. I'll update again then.

2012 now....... I have a rose hip bush at my moms and would like to try this. If any one has info on if its worth it please let me know ...

I made some rose hip jelly a while back - long laborious process best not done again - how do you think this would work in your recipe. Bearing in mind it was made with sugar & is concentrated already. I know what you mean about the soapy taste as this was what the 'raw' just boiled stage of the process tasted like. Any updates on your brew??

Back