Auber PID SYL-2352 undocumented bug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At least I assume it is undocumented.

For anyone who is using the PID in manual mode, the lowest cycle time (the "t" variable) is 2, not 0.5 seconds as described in their current datasheet.

Anything lower than 2 will cause problems. I can verify this, and it was verified by someone there at Auber. I know that others have lowered their Proportional variable to 0 or 1, and that corrected the problem for them but this did nothing for me and really screwed up the thing when I went back to auto mode!

The Auber guy even said that if you set it to "1" (second), it might give you 100 seconds. Weird, but I am sure I saw this. I have been looking at the Out signals on a scope.

BTW, I love this thing, and 2 second cycle is no problem at all.

You don't want to use manual mode unless you want to ignore your temperature sensing device. Manual mode allows you to select a "power level", sort of like a microwave, where the output cycles on and off.

I did that on accident by originally putting a valve in between the heating element and the sensor. Bad mojo! The element got hot enough to melt silver solder holding the copper together.

Needless to say, that particular design "feature" was reconsidered. The heating element was replaced and the temperature sensor was relocated to a more [PUN] sensable [/PUN] location. :)

passedpawn, try this.

Set your Proportional Constant to 1 (it's initial setting is 500). You should then be able to set the 't' (Cycle rate) to 1. Maybe you've already tried this, but it worked for me.

drost

passedpawn, try this.

Set your Proportional Constant to 1 (it's initial setting is 500). You should then be able to set the 't' (Cycle rate) to 1. Maybe you've already tried this, but it worked for me.

drost

yea, that worked, but that made the auto mode totally useless. If I had 2 PIDs and could leave one on manual, I'd change the P as you describe.

Mine has been running a 1 second cycle for almost a year now... weird. I use the auto mode for CIP and pre-boil kettle heating.

Back