My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got two Victoria knockoffs from Discount Tommy. I could "fix" the plate on one of them by jamming the pin in further and bending the end of it. The second one isn't going to be as easy. The pin hole is a lot further back, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

My one and only has/had the same problem. My solution once I made the error of pulling out the cotter pin was to machine another hole perpendicular to the original & further up the shaft (ever so slightly further up the shaft). I also had to wallow out the grooves that the pin/bolt fits through on the washer like piece. Just my experience... though it does work fine now!

Schlante,
Phillip

Hi all, pardon the intrusion... I dont actually brew my own beer. I was looking for info on grain mills and came across this forum.

I have need to grind up dry dog food. Would this mill work for this purpose? Or would dry dog food be too much for it? How much does the hopper hold?

Thank you very much for any input and again, sorry to be a pest.

Carole

My Ugly Junk

DSC_2419.jpg

DSC_2434.jpg

DSC_2465.jpg

DSC_2432.jpg

DSC_2437.jpg

Hi all, pardon the intrusion... I dont actually brew my own beer. I was looking for info on grain mills and came across this forum.

I have need to grind up dry dog food. Would this mill work for this purpose? Or would dry dog food be too much for it? How much does the hopper hold?

Thank you very much for any input and again, sorry to be a pest.

Carole

I don't know if you'll come back Carole, but as to if it will work for your purpose, I'm not sure. How small do you need to grind the dog food up to? These mills are mostly used to grind grain and corn into flour, what we do in brewing is slightly modify the gap in the grinding heads to instead of turning the grain 100% to flour, we aim more to crush the grain, basically just opening the hills a bit so we can convert starch to sugar. Actually we strive for 1/3 flour 1/3 open and 1/3 shredded (sort of)

I keep thinking that if you ran dry dog food it would probably end up more like "flour" than anything else. I actually would think that if you were looking to just break the pieces into smaller bits, a good strong food processor would work better, especially using short bursts.

But if you are looking for bits that look like the pictures of the "crushes" we show like in the one below your post, then maybe it would work. Lord knows these are strong enough to handle the job, these puppies are haeavy cast iron.

it's just a matter of would it break them into the size you need.

As to the size of the hopper, if you look at some of the pics you can see that the size of the hopper can be made almost unlimited. People often invert a 3 or 5 gallon water jug and cut off the bottom and set that inside the original hopper and fill several pounds of grain in it to grind, and like I did, I used a bit of drain pipe. So size is really a matter of what you can rig up.

If you want to give us more detail about what your trying to do to the dogfood, let us know. You're not being a pest at all. :D

You know...If you can lay your hands on one of these relatively cheap, and if you tried it and it didn't work out, I bet we on here could find someone on this site near enough to you who would be willing to buy it off you. We get folks asking on here all the time if anyone has one for sale. So think about that too.

Thought you guys would like to know that Charlie Papazian has used a corona mill all these years. That guy is still very old-school. Heard him say so in a podcast

Yeah, I say that in the very first post.....That's one of my counter arguments for all those "you HAVE to have a barley crusher" noobs.
Charlie get's 87% extract efficiency with his according to the basic brewing podcast.

Thanks for re-iterating that fact! :mug:

Grimtas your wood work is too pretty to be called "ugly junk" it looks great!

:mug:

Bah the only thing that will pretty this thing up is a Duck Sauce bucket. The lid is actually routed on the bottom so it don't slip off the top rim of the bucket. I just forgot to take a pic of the bottom. ;)

OK, well, now you guys can think I am really crazy. I need to grind up the dog food to feed it to a cockroach colony. I feed tropical roaches to some of my reptiles (cheap food source as they just make more) but grinding dog food in the tiny coffee grinder is getting old. I think I might pick up one of these grinders. Looks like it would do the job, flour size is ok or bigger would be ok too. Probably get some arm exercise as well :)

Thanks!
Carole

I'd ask how many roaches you're feeding, that you need this much feed.....but I think maybe I don't want to know. This mill is probably NOT going to grind stuff to a fine baking flour consistency. But my impression from all my reading is that it's basically designed as a corn mill, to mill corn to the consistency of tortilla flour, which isn't nearly as fine. I personally think it'd do fine on dog food, providing that the dog food you're using doesn't incorporate oily ingredients to the extent that it'll clog up the grinder. These things can be had so inexpensively it might be worth a try- I got mine from "Discount Tommy" on eBay for $24 delivered.

OK, well, now you guys can think I am really crazy. I need to grind up the dog food to feed it to a cockroach colony. I feed tropical roaches to some of my reptiles (cheap food source as they just make more) but grinding dog food in the tiny coffee grinder is getting old. I think I might pick up one of these grinders. Looks like it would do the job, flour size is ok or bigger would be ok too. Probably get some arm exercise as well :)

Thanks!
Carole

We brew beer, using things like propane turkey fryers and modified rubbermade coolers...So we don't find anything too strange. It songs like this may be the tool for you then, I have a feeling it will pulverize the dogfood fine enough for those *shudder* little buggers.

Pay attention to how we use drills to motorize them and also some of the hoppers we rig up and you should be all set.

Good luck!

Thanks!
Carole

It will be bigger than flour size. These mills are primarily designed to crack corn into small enough particles to go into breads, for example, not wheat into flour. But I'd think that'd be just fine for roaches....

Rich

Getting back to the original thread, I finally put mine back together with a different cotter pin and assembled it into an old kitty litter :eek: square 5 gallon container, complete with cut-out lid. I had tried to replace the cotter pin with a screw, but decided the tolerances are so bad on the castings, it would be better if it were looser so the plate could go with the flow of grain through it.

Short of the story -- after alot of adjustments, it produced a nice grind with my HF electric right angle drill at several pounds per minute with NO dust flying around (due to the top with the cutout for the hopper). Well, I did get some dust while adjusting the grind with the top off.:eek:

As others have said, a battery powered screw/drill driver just doesn't cut it(and I have a Makita!).

So to re-iterate what others have said:
1. Add some washers to help hold the plates apart.
2. Assemble it into a 5 gallon container with some kind of top to prevent flying dust.
3. Run it with a drill.
4. Adjust until the grind looks good. Mine looks right, looks like it'll mash with higher efficiency than the LHBS grind....

My 18V dewalt hammer drill doesn't skip a beat last time I used it on a low battery it ground through 23+ lbs with no problems
Edited my original post#283 with a pic of the routed bottom to fit securly on a 5Gal bucket. Only thing I'd do different and will probably do this weekend is make a small box to fit over the top of the grinding plates to reduce the grind out.

My Dewalt 24v can almost get 21 lbs on one charged battery, seems like I switch it for last two or so pounds. I have an old electric (small) it about goes up in flames after just 40 secs of grinding. It is really old, and small though.

My Dewalt 24v can almost get 21 lbs on one charged battery, seems like I switch it for last two or so pounds. I have an old electric (small) it about goes up in flames after just 40 secs of grinding. It is really old, and small though.

Yeah, my Mikita is very old, wearing out a newer but old technology battery, which is probably alot of the problem. Enough torque with the right RPM is the story. Most small electrics have a high RPM and/or a cheap speed controller with not much torque - not the best combo for this application, IMHO. I was kinda lucky on my HF right angle drill - it's geared down for lower rpm applications and has alot of torque, as it's the same as what is used on their grinders. One of those cheap, throwaway buys for a single problem and it turns out to actually hold up for other applications...

Yeah, my Mikita is very old, wearing out a newer but old technology battery, which is probably alot of the problem. Enough torque with the right RPM is the story. Most small electrics have a high RPM and/or a cheap speed controller with not much torque - not the best combo for this application, IMHO. I was kinda lucky on my HF right angle drill - it's geared down for lower rpm applications and has alot of torque, as it's the same as what is used on their grinders. One of those cheap, throwaway buys for a single problem and it turns out to actually hold up for other applications...

Yeah, the lower gear, wide open in one hand. A cold HB in the other! My Dewalt is pretty new at this point, but I guess that it needs to be put in the budget for making beer. I plan on using it a WHOLE lot! ;)

Hi guys, thanks for all the help and your patience with my odd request of a couple of weeks ago... dog food, grinders and roaches oh my! My husband found a grinder similar to y'all's at a car swap meet last week for THREE BUCKS. I wasnt sure it would work but the "bread crumber" attachment works just fine. Its a workout grinding it up but it sure beats the tiny electric coffee grinder I was using!

Thanks again!
Carole (and the roaches)

Hi guys, thanks for all the help and your patience with my odd request of a couple of weeks ago... dog food, grinders and roaches oh my! My husband found a grinder similar to y'all's at a car swap meet last week for THREE BUCKS. I wasnt sure it would work but the "bread crumber" attachment works just fine. Its a workout grinding it up but it sure beats the tiny electric coffee grinder I was using!

Thanks again!
Carole (and the roaches)

Good job Carole!!! Glad we could help you and your little friends. :mug:

Here is the sexiest Corona mill ever:

mill2.jpg

That's right. 45 degree cut on the end of it, and it's long enough that I can put my leg on one side and my arm on the other to stabilize. the 45 degree cut is where I rest my foot.

Tin foil covers the area where the grain drops, and i bend it so that the grain doesn't go everywhere.
mill1.jpg

Thanks Guys :mug:

I whipped this up in an evening after seeing all the rigs here. I love all the ideas this community has to share.

I've got some metal flashing lying around that I'm hoping to get around to making a chute to replace the bag with. Time will tell...the SWMBO is starting to think I'm spending too much time on my 'hobby'.

I got the OK from SWMBO to buy a grain mill (up to BC price) for Christmas. Was leaning towards the Crankandstein w/Hopper+Base kit on BMWH until I remembered this thread, tweaking this thing has the DIYer in me interested. Other than an excuse to tinker in the garage and the obvious one of "It's 20% the cost," what other reasons would there be to pickup one of these instead of the crankandstein.

In otherwords, talk me into this thing, so I can save money for more beer, I'm halfway convinced already.

edit: If I make one of these uglified and post pics with my ugly immersion chiller next to it, can I get bonus ugly-points?

I got the OK from SWMBO to buy a grain mill (up to BC price) for Christmas. Was leaning towards the Crankandstein w/Hopper+Base kit on BMWH until I remembered this thread, tweaking this thing has the DIYer in me interested. Other than an excuse to tinker in the garage and the obvious one of "It's 20% the cost," what other reasons would there be to pickup one of these instead of the crankandstein.

In otherwords, talk me into this thing, so I can save money for more beer, I'm halfway convinced already.

edit: If I make one of these uglified and post pics with my ugly immersion chiller next to it, can I get bonus ugly-points?

No, you're a grownup, you can make your own decision. ;)

My only answer is that it is good enough for Charlie Papazian to get 87% efficiency with, and that's good enough for me.

That and the 4-5 batches of allgrain beer I can make with the $100.000 + bucks I've saved.

Hahah, yeah I'm pretty sure I'm going with this as I'm sure you can tell by my previous post. The money savings and more importantly opportunity to tinker are just too tempting.

I agree, I'm considering using the 100+ I'm going to save and picking up a sack of MO and/or a sack of 2-Row.

Latest posts

Back