How many strawberries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyBoy

Reaction score
I would like to use up my strawberries from my garden on a strawberry blonde. How many do I need for a 10 gallon batch? I have about 4lbs now and should get another 4 before the plants are exhausted for the summer.

Also, should I put them in cut up or as a puree? Should I put them in at flame out or during fermentation. Any help would be appreciated.

I use 4 pounds for 5 gallon batches. I freeze, puree, and pasteurize them although I know that's a point of contention. I put the pureed strawberries into my secondary and then rack the beer on top. Be prepared for a vigorous second fermentation; you'll need a blowoff tube, and will probably want to leave a bit of headspace.

I use four pounds per five gallons as well, although I slice, blanch, freeze, and then thaw the berries before adding them to the secondary vessel and racking the blonde on top. I get a little second fermentation, but nothing that requires a blowoff tube. Taste is definitely present, but not overpowering.

There is a guy in my HBC that used 15lbs in his strawberry Kolsch and it is very good. Strawberrys are very hard to add to a beer as it takes alot to keep the delicate nose and flavor. He frooze and pasturized his as well.

Come to think of it, he said that 4 of the lbs in the primary and that just scrubbed all of the strawberry flavor out of it initially.

Back