Question About Buying Shanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a few questions about shank selection.

1.) If you have a 3" shank is that 3" of thread (overall length) or is that 3" between both of the mounting flanges with nut attached.

2.) Which do you guys prefer, barbed shanks or the type that needs tail pieces?

Thanks!

1) when I bought mine, it was the overall length of the shank that was specified.

2) didn't know they had barbed ones, but I'll look for that style next time - sounds like a winner. fewer parts, fewer places for gunkum to hide. as long as you're set with your line diameter, I can't see what'd be bad about a barbed shank.

1) when I bought mine, it was the overall length of the shank that was specified.

2) didn't know they had barbed ones, but I'll look for that style next time - sounds like a winner. fewer parts, fewer places for gunkum to hide. as long as you're set with your line diameter, I can't see what'd be bad about a barbed shank.

The ones with tail pieces can be fitted with a 90-degree or straight and they are threaded or barbed. NB doesn't have integral shanks with barbs.

3T400.jpg

Tail pieces.

tail-pieces.jpg

tailpiece-mfl.jpg

67_0.jpg

1.) Depends on the source. Mine were from the flange.

2.) I prefer having the tail piece for easy dissassembly of the shank and lineset for deep cleaning.

Back