Cicerone and BJCP styles training

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontman

Reaction score
I am really excited about my Birthday present! Philadelphia Beer Week is coming this next week and my wife bought me a spot in this class:

"EXTENSIVE BEER TRAINING COURSE with RANDY MOSHER

March 10, Tuesday 9-5pm

Professional development class is perfect for industry professionals and dedicated amateurs.

Randy Mosher, author of The Brewers Companion (1991), Radical Brewing (2004) and the brand new Tasting Beer, guides students through a hands-on lesson in tasting, systematic look at the flavors, presentation of styles and pairing of beer & food. Mosher is a faculty member of the Siebel Institute, America’s oldest brewing school and is a regular columnist for All About Beer magazine. This unique class was put together just for Dock Street and is an ideal prep course for the Cicerone exam or for the beer styles portion of
the BJCP (Beer Judging Certification Program).

$150"

Kind of a big investment but well worth it I believe. (I have a cool wife, don't I?)

This is all part of Philly Beer Week. There is great stuff happening all over the Philly beer scene this coming week but Dock Street Brewery has several really cool events. This one, plus a HomeBrew swap, plus a Beer and Cheese tasting that will be pairing craft beers with locally made cheeses.

I love my town.

If anyone else is taking this course I'd love to hear from you.

Edit: In case you need a link: http://dockstreetbeer.com/PBW.htm?merchant_return_link=Return+to+The+Old+Dock+Street+Brewery,+LLC

Have fun. Are you planning on taking the Cicerone exam? I have been looking over the study materials, and WOW does it look comprehensive, but then again it is the beer equivalent of a sommelier.

Not sure what I will do with this knowledge. I am leaning more towards BJCP.

Back in the 90s I took a Sommelier course that was brutally hard to pass. 8 weeks, 2 hours of class per week plus a whole textbook to basically memorize, then the final exam was two days, one for book learning, one for tasting. The tasting portion is what most people failed.

Have fun. Are you planning on taking the Cicerone exam? I have been looking over the study materials, and WOW does it look comprehensive, but then again it is the beer equivalent of a sommelier.

My friend is a Cicerone, and he said it wasn't easy.

I took "wine appreciation" in college. It was a crazy class with 700 students in an auditorium passing around bottles of expensive wine. It was also the most failed class at my university; try taking notes on one of those tiny folding armrest/desk crowded with 3 wine glasses, a water glass, and a spit cup.

I work at a brewpub and the owners are flying our manager to Chicago to take the Cicerone class/exam, which is pretty cool.

The beer pairing seems to be a major feature that differentiates the two paths.

Yes, and I'm very much looking to that part. In fact there are several other beer and food matching events at the Beer Week. Two at Dock Street, a couple at restaurant schools and a couple at the Tria Fermentation School.

Back