Lagering temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
So I'm on my first Lager... Oktoberfest. Currently in the fridge but my fridge won't get below 39-39 w the high temps we've been having... and its been mostly at 40... How will this impact the lager?

Not as clear? tastes not as clean?

So I'm on my first Lager... Oktoberfest. Currently in the fridge but my fridge won't get below 39-39 w the high temps we've been having... and its been mostly at 40... How will this impact the lager?

Not as clear? tastes not as clean?

I assume you are past fermentation and diacytl rest. I bottled my Bock on Saturday with a similar situation. I waited 6 weeks during lagering and it seems to have turned out fine. Temperature ranged from 35 before all this ugly heat to 42 during the height of it. I tried a sample during bottling (like God intended) and it still had the lager characteristics with the malty bock flavor. You should be ok. How long are you planning on lagering?

That's totally fine. While ideal lager temp is right around 30-32F, warmer temps work, it just might take a bit longer for the beer to be ready. Really, the whole purpose of lagering is to allow as much of the particulates to settle out of the beer as possible- I "lager" all my ale at 38F for 5-10 days before serving.

Thanks guys. I am past ferment etc. I did start my fermentation at the high 40's and slowly warmed it to the mid 50's. Took a bit longer to finish up. Finally let it raise up to about 67-68 for 24 hrs and rest. Then dropped it back. I do need to rack it though... as its still sitting in the fermenter for the last 2 weeks at the 38-40 temp.

I'm hoping to let it sit for 6 weeks and then bottle so its ready in oct.

Thanks guys. I am past ferment etc. I did start my fermentation at the high 40's and slowly warmed it to the mid 50's. Took a bit longer to finish up. Finally let it raise up to about 67-68 for 24 hrs and rest. Then dropped it back. I do need to rack it though... as its still sitting in the fermenter for the last 2 weeks at the 38-40 temp.

I'm hoping to let it sit for 6 weeks and then bottle so its ready in oct.

You'll be fine. Rdwahahb. I got my own oktoberfest fermenting now. I hope to be ready by mid October. What yeast did you use? I used WY 2308 Munich lager.

Should be fine.

You might check the temp ranges of the yeast you used for future reference.

Do you have an external thermostat for you fridge?

I have the fermentation chamber set to 47 F. I'll diacytl rest at 62 for a few days until I read Fg. I will try and lager in the low 30s, but my fridge fluctuates from 34-39 depending on the garages ambient temps. It read high 30 s low 40s during the heat wave . I love my thermostat!

Latest posts

Back