Chocolate Milk Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dome555

Reaction score
What would you change if you wanted a borderline too sweet and too chocolaty beer? SWMBO has told me Left Hand's Milk Stout wasn't sweet enough and that Young's Chocolate wasn't chocolaty enough. As much as I'd like to recommend just making a milkshake, the deal is I get a keezer and she gets one of the taps.

5 gal Batch, 2.5 gal boil

6 lb Dark DME
1 lb Crystal 60
1 lb Flaked Oats
1 lb Lactose
12 oz Roasted Barley
8 oz Chocolate Malt

1.5 oz Kent Goldings @ 60 min
.5 oz Kent Goldings @ 20 min
8 oz Cocoa Powder @ 10 min

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

3 oz of Chocolate Extract @ kegging

Would I end up making pudding if I added maltodextrin? Maybe 2-4 oz.

I certainly won't be offended if you tell me to scrap the recipe and suggest a kit that fits the description. The NB and AHS kits, which is where I usually go, seemed to get mixed reviews. Thanks for any replies.

This is my recipe for a milk chocolate stout that I later added peanut butter, vanilla, and bourbon to the secondary. 1 lb lactose and 6oz cocoa at flameout, and the same amounts again when racked to secondary. I added the vanilla because some said it would increase the "milky" flavor/feel that the lactose also provides. The chocolate flavor is strong, perhaps too strong. My problem with this batch is the peanut flavor doesn't come through at all and I wonder if the cocoa is just masking it. I'm still in secondary, so I still have options.

Hope that helps.

This is my recipe for a milk chocolate stout that I later added peanut butter, vanilla, and bourbon to the secondary. 1 lb lactose and 6oz cocoa at flameout, and the same amounts again when racked to secondary. I added the vanilla because some said it would increase the "milky" flavor/feel that the lactose also provides. The chocolate flavor is strong, perhaps too strong. My problem with this batch is the peanut flavor doesn't come through at all and I wonder if the cocoa is just masking it. I'm still in secondary, so I still have options.

Hope that helps.

I'm looking for milk stout recipes and just before reading your post I thought, "What if I add vanilla to bring out the milk flavor?". That was weird. Anyways, How did your beer turn out? Recommendations on the amount of vanilla?

use cocoa nibs if you can in secondary, and IF you keg. put them right in the keg as well. Also adding rice syrup solids at flameout will add a little ABV bump and sweeten the perceived "milk" from the lactose.
We have one on tap right now we call Chocolate Milk for Adults

What would you change if you wanted a borderline too sweet and too chocolaty beer? SWMBO has told me Left Hand's Milk Stout wasn't sweet enough and that Young's Chocolate wasn't chocolaty enough. As much as I'd like to recommend just making a milkshake, the deal is I get a keezer and she gets one of the taps.

5 gal Batch, 2.5 gal boil

6 lb Dark DME
1 lb Crystal 60
1 lb Flaked Oats
1 lb Lactose
12 oz Roasted Barley
8 oz Chocolate Malt

1.5 oz Kent Goldings @ 60 min
.5 oz Kent Goldings @ 20 min
8 oz Cocoa Powder @ 10 min

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

3 oz of Chocolate Extract @ kegging

Would I end up making pudding if I added maltodextrin? Maybe 2-4 oz.

I certainly won't be offended if you tell me to scrap the recipe and suggest a kit that fits the description. The NB and AHS kits, which is where I usually go, seemed to get mixed reviews. Thanks for any replies.

This looks good and I going to try it this weekend. I assume its a 60min boil? And when does the 1lb lactose and 8oz chocolate malt get added? I'm also thinking about putting chocolate nibs in the secondary, over kill??

use cocoa nibs if you can in secondary, and IF you keg. put them right in the keg as well. Also adding rice syrup solids at flameout will add a little ABV bump and sweeten the perceived "milk" from the lactose.
We have one on tap right now we call Chocolate Milk for Adults

What are rice syrup solids and how much do you use?

Back