Medical Regulator wort oxygenation--how many LPM and for how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpertskir

Reaction score
This article has some good info, but medical regulators start at 1 liter per minute and I tend to think that less than 100% of O2 is absorbed when using a 2 micron stone.

http://***********/stories/wizard/a...xygen-canisters-safe-for-homebrewing-aeration

What do you flow rate use with your regulator and for how long? The non medical tank users who use a gas flow rate gauge of some sort would also be helpful to hear from.

My rule of thumb is 70 seconds of o2 per 5 gal at 800cc per minute and +10% if I am over 1.070 through a .5 micron stone. I'm getting good results with this and am considering moving to 90 seconds at 700 cc per minute to see if I get better absorption rates. I don't have a dissolved oxygen meter so I don't have any way to validate this though.

My oxygen tank has a built in regulator with two outputs. 2 and 4 LPM. I use the 2 LPM for about half of my fermenter's volume, which is about 10 minutes. I am using the inline oxy stone from morebeer.com (item FE390 I think)

Score. Just realized my regulator has a .12 LPM setting, so I can just double the 45 seconds at .21 in the article and get close to the recommended 8 ppm

I am running a .5 LPM for 4 minutes with a .5 micron stone.

The rational behind this is that even if I did not get any O2 into solution the headspace is about 2 liters, so it should be fairly saturated. Any more than that and I figure what is not absorbed would just spill out the top of the carboy.

I'm not brewing the same beer enough to adjust the O2 and say if it is better or worse.

{snip}

If you're looking for a good oxygen system for use with a disposable tank regulator they can be found here:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16604//Oxygenation_Partial_System

Jipper,

How would you recommend someone who is using this system answer the question this thread is about?

Back