Can you Brew It recipe for Anderson Valley Boont Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

OG 1058
FG 1010
IBUs 18.3
SRM 14.8

4.61kg U@ 2-row 80%
580g Crystal 40 10%
580g Crystal 80 10%

Boil for 90min

3.3g Magnum 15%AA at 90min
4.4g Horizon 13%AA at 60min
7g Palisade 7%at 20min or hot whirlpool
61.4g Cascade at hopback or 0min

WLP002

Pitch at 65F, raise to 68F

Mash at 152F

Discussion notes:
Consider adding Gypsum or CaCl.

I picked up a bomber of this after hearing the CYBI episode, never had it before. The most striking thing is that Chad was dead on, it smells and tastes like blueberry and strawberry pancakes! It's the damndest thing. If the recipe didn't come directly from the brewer I wouldn't have believed it was so simple (and contained no fruit or spices).

Any idea what gives it such an interesting character? The only thing in the recipe I have zero experience with is palisade hops, but it doesn't seem like a very big addition. Is it an expert blend of English yeast esters, hops and the dark crystal malt?

I swear I'm not astroturfing for Anderson Valley, just very interested in this brew :)

I have been looking for a reliable recipe for this beer since trying a bottle of it in Australia about 12 months ago.It really had a unique orange/apricot type of flavour and aroma, probably due to age as well as ingredients.

I want to follow the recipe exactly however Palisade are very hard to find in Australia and being such a small amount can anyone suggest a suitable replacement.

Also the brewer stated the OG as 13 Plato which i thought was 1054. The bottle i had was 5.8% and the podcast says OG 1058. Would the correct OG be 1054 or 1058?

Thanks for any help Adam

They are said to be similar to Glacier, which I find similar to Willamette or any other neutral English-style hops. Even goldings wouldn't be a terrible sub, I am sure.

I made this a couple of days ago and did use Willamette as the sub for Palisade.
Also decided to go with OG of 1054 so just need to wait and see how it turns out now.

Also the brewer stated the OG as 13 Plato which i thought was 1054. The bottle i had was 5.8% and the podcast says OG 1058. Would the correct OG be 1054 or 1058?

I was wondering the same thing. I'm about to brew this, next week, and was re-listening to the podcast and immediately thought, "What the hell?". Jamil also states during the recipe recap that the OG is 13 Plato, or 1.058.

I think 1.053 or 1.054 would be more accurate for this beer...?

Split the difference and shoot for 1056? :) I really can't imagine being off by less than 1* Plato will make or break your clone attempt.

No, I agree, especially with the deviations in efficiency I've been experiencing lately.

I think I was more asking the question out of confusion...?

I'm doing this one today as an extract. Basically, I'm going to sub in 7 lbs. of pale LME and steep the Crystal. Also, I plan to sub in WLP007 to counteract the likely attenuation problems due to extract. Will report back on how it turns out.

I made this a couple of days ago and did use Willamette as the sub for Palisade.
Also decided to go with OG of 1054 so just need to wait and see how it turns out now.

Now this has been in the bottles for 6wks it is very nice and very close to the origional.

I'm happy to report the extract + steeping method yielded awesome results. I kegged my beer last night and was very pleased.

EDIT: I should add that I was right to use WLP007 in this version. I hit OG spot on, but FG was a bit higher than the recipe at about 1.018. Without 007, it might have been even higher.

Good to know. I have weighed it out and hope to brew this wknd. There's an awful lot of crystal in it though. Anderson Valley makes some great brews.

Finally brewed this beast, will update when I sample in a month or so. This is the strangest recipe I've brewed recently, lots of malt but a smidgen of hops.

How did you guys do the cascade addition. Just add it at the very end or should it be dryhopped. I dont have a hopback..

I live about 20 minutes from this brewery. To heck with the amber, if you can find their Poleeko Gold or their Hop Ottin your in for a treat

TJTHEBEST said:
How did you guys do the cascade addition. Just add it at the very end or should it be dryhopped. I dont have a hopback..

At the end.

Eric.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I'm brewing 10 gallons of this today. I tweaked the recipe to fit my system and had to replace the Horizon addition with more Magnum. I also do not have a hopback so I will be using the Cascade at flame out. I'll post back with the results in a few weeks.

Its funny that this thread got bumped... last night at our homebrew meeting, (we live about 30 minutes from Boonville, home of AVB) one of the members mentioned he had won a fundraiser auction on a "brew day" at AVB. He gets to use their 20 gallon pilot system, and have free run of the place including unlimited access to their grain barn, and access to any of their recipes. Were all going to go down their as a club. This is gonna be sweet.

I'm jealous. I was just there in Sept. but certainly didn't get to do any of that. This is by far, my favorite amber ale. Hopefully it comes out even remotely close to Boont Amber.

I was through there last weened. They've started canning a half dozen of their brews. Pretty ccol

ForumRunner_20111009_133933.jpg

Hang on there cowboy! As I am the one who will be giving the lesson I think you got a few of the particulars wrong. Running is not generally allowed in breweries so maybe "Freeish walk of the place under supervision" might be more appropriate. We will be getting the grain for the one recipe from the grain room, so that will definitely be limited use of grain privileges. And the class is limited to six including yours trully so depending on the size of your club you might need to alter that expectation. Lastly I don't have access to the AVBC recipes so I won't be able to help you out there.

one of the members mentioned he had won a fundraiser auction on a "brew day" at AVB. He gets to use their 20 gallon pilot system,

So to fill you in this is my contribution to raise money for KZYX, our local public radio station here in Mendocino county. I am W.Dan and I do a show every Thursday night from 8 to 10 p.m. pst called The Treehouse, it is a comedy show and you can listen in at www.kzyx.org . Every December the station has an on air holiday auction. Every year I offer up four brew sessions, one each night. The winner and four buddies get to brew a beer of their choosing, take an in depth tour of the facilities, play disc golf, taste some beers and such. My brew system is the original pilot brewery for the now defunct Thomas Kemper Brewery which was the first post-prohibition lager micro brewery in the U.S. Kemper was bought by Hart Brewing which eventually morphed into Pyramid Brewing. I brewed for them for five years when their main production was in Seattle in the late 90's.

And now you know "the rest of the story."

WDan said:
Hang on there cowboy! As I am the one who will be giving the lesson I think you got a few of the particulars wrong. Running is not generally allowed in breweries so maybe "Freeish walk of the place under supervision" might be more appropriate. We will be getting the grain for the one recipe from the grain room, so that will definitely be limited use of grain privileges. And the class is limited to six including yours trully so depending on the size of your club you might need to alter that expectation. Lastly I don't have access to the AVBC recipes so I won't be able to help you out there.

Hey a local! I haven't seen anyone local on here yet. Maybe Jack got a little excited when he was describing the situation. Either way, if there's only going to be 6 people allowed that's only about half the club so ill be making sure I'm one of em ;)

Yea I actually didn't know about this sight until my buddies at the AVBC started razzing me about your post. Tell Jack to get in touch with me and we will set up a date and decide what we want to brew. Despite his embellishments it is a good time and you will get to see more of the brewery than on the regular tour.

WDan said:
I'm an old bastard and not up on the whole brevity lingo, what is PMed?

I sent you a private message. You can only hold 5 as a non-premium, but mine should be in there

Ive just taken a couple pints from a keg i made of this. It tastes really good and pretty close to a real Boont. Im gonna buy a 6 pack and do a side by side to see if i can tell the real from the clone.

I'm doing my second attempt at this recipe. First time around I didn't have my hop rocket nor could I get Horizon hops (subbed them out for more Magnum). This time, I'm doing the recipe to the T. Brewing it up this Sat. I'll report back in about 2 months when I'm drinking it.

Is 18.3 IBU realistic for this beer? The style guidelines state 25-40. 18 just seems ridiculously low.

Very possible. They have other beers with very low IBUs, and I think this is where the malt focus is being so heavily emphasized. I had this beer followed by a Newcastle (not at all known for being bitter) and thought it was quite the hop bomb because Amber is so low IBU'd. Try Winter Solstace for even less hop character.

reverendnathan said:
Try Winter Solstace for even less hop character.

It's funny, I am repairing a piece of equipment for their canning line at the machine shop, and have had a can of Winter Solstice sitting on my bench for a week or more. It's taken I'll I've got to not chuck it in the freezer for a few :)

Back