Forgot the Whirlfloc!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txag2007

Reaction score
I have never used Whirlfloc before but I bought some and intended to use it for my most recent batch but forgot. It's not a huge deal, but the batch has been fermenting for 2 days and I was hoping to use something to clarify this batch since my last few have been cloudier than I would like.

Question is - Is there anything I can add to the primary or when I rack to the secondary to help clear it up?

Leave it in the primary until it has cleared or 3 weeks. Rack it and if needed use gelatin or some other finings method to clear it.

Gelatin, polyclar, isinglass and many others. Personally I use Whirlfloc or Irish Moss and if I forgot it I would just let it go, cold crash & time (posted above). You could of course filter if it is a big deal for you.

Thanks, I will just let it sit a little longer in the primary. I usually do 2 weeks and then rack to the secondary but this time I'll let it go a week longer. The O.G. was 1.070 so it's going to need quite a bit of time in the secondary.

Back