Carbonation Drops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhoenixCoyote

Reaction score
Yes, i just did a post but this did not relate to it. I found a site online that sells these drops. It says your beer or hard cider will be completely carbonated in 5 days. Just add a drop to each bottle at bottling time. I bought some from my local HBS store, he said i have to wait 2 weeks. Do different name brand drops take longer than others? 5 days compared to 2 weeks? I liked the idea of drinking my beer sooner. Any comments or advice will be appreciated. Will carbonation drops affect the beer taste rather than using priming sugar?

Thanks in advance to all of you experts.

I'm fairly certain that the drops are just corn sugar in pressed form. I don't think they will carbonate any faster than adding priming sugar to the whole batch before bottling.It's probably going to take at least 2 weeks and 3-4 for the beers to really taste the best.

Blender said:
I'm fairly certain that the drops are just corn sugar in pressed form. I don't think they will carbonate any faster than adding priming sugar to the whole batch before bottling.It's probably going to take at least 2 weeks and 3-4 for the beers to really taste the best.
The drops i have are 73% sugar, 27% glucose. How can the other place say 5 days when it takes longer? Thanks. Just thought i could drink sooner LOL.

A. People can say whatever they want. B. Some drops are much smaller than others and will dissolve faster. C. I can keg and force carbonate in 30 minutes. It still takes 2-3 weeks for the ale to be ready to drink.

Lots of variables affect the timeline for good carbonation, not just the sugar. (For instance, how much yeast do you have still in suspension? Has the batch been in secondary for a month, or in primary for 2 weeks?) I use those drops every once in a while, and they always seem to take longer than adding corn sugar to the bottling bucket. I only use drops when I bottle straight out of a primary I have (rarely). I would say 1.5 weeks is normal. Incidentally, I use one drop for a 12 oz bottle.

Back