San Antonio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatjonguy

Now with 57.93% more awesome!
Reaction score
So I was informed by my social director (SWMBO) that we are visiting family in the San Antonio area in the first part of July.

So lets hear about the places and beers I need to try while I am there. Also, which beer shop is the best, so I can take some "samples" back home to ND.

Thanks!

I would highly recommend Freetail. They have great pizza and beer. I haven't toured any of the other breweries listed, but Real Ale puts out some fine beers I am a fan of their Fireman's 4 and especially their seasonal Four Squared.

I went to Gabriel's Superstore #60 off N Loop 1604. They had an awesome beer selection.

That place sounds awesome based on the reviews I found on Beer Advocate (and we know how it can get over there from time to time).

I think I might need a bigger suitcase.

I would highly recommend Freetail. They have great pizza and beer. I haven't toured any of the other breweries listed, but Real Ale puts out some fine beers I am a fan of their Fireman's 4 and especially their seasonal Four Squared.

I second Freetail, it's one of my favorite stops when I visit friends in Boerne. I always be sure to bring a corny or 2 to get filled when I stop by.

But, my absolute favorite is The Point Park and Eats on Boerne Stage rd. It's owned and ran by some really great people, and they feature mostly Texas and local beers. It's a really laid back, relaxing place. Plenty of places to sit back and enjoy the hill country atmosphere. The also have a ton of different food trucks (really good ones, not crappy tacotrucks.) Kitchen Fusionz and Pork U are good stuff.

While youre down, be sure to find some beer by 512 Brewing. Unfortunately they only distribute in kegs, so you'll have to find someone who has them on tap (quite a few palces in the area, according to their website). Their Pecan Porter is freaking good, as well as their Cascabel Cream Stout.

Dont miss going by Dicks on the river walk. They might not have all the craft brews but they will put you down, ignore you, cuss at you and generally be a Dick...LOL

I went to Gabriel's Superstore #60 off N Loop 1604. They had an awesome beer selection.

This appears to be on the north end of San Antonio, anyone have a great store any where closer to central and/or airport? Not that I won't drive that far for a great selection...

Any recommendations for homebrew shops? I am looking for super fresh yeast to take home with me when I fly out.

I've been going to Homebrew Party located on Nacogdoches Road (there's also one on Bandera, but I've never been there. It's no megastore like Austin Homebrew Supply or Norther Brewer, but the staff is nice and helpful, and the selection is better than some other small shops I've been to. There was the one incident where they were completely out of Marris Otter of all things, but other than that my experiences were always positive.

There's also San Antonio Homebrew Supply, but their shop is a little more.... uh, "Bohemian"....

Check out big hops growler station 23 taps all craft beer except for one ( they have root beer on tap). Nice guys grab a pint or two and get some growlers filled. For dinner and a beer I recommend free tail, the cove, blue star, friendly spot, the granry all cool places. If you are there on a Saturday stop by ranger creek for one of their brewstillery tours from 3-5.

Check out big hops growler station 23 taps all craft beer except for one ( they have root beer on tap). Nice guys grab a pint or two and get some growlers filled. For dinner and a beer I recommend free tail, the cove, blue star, friendly spot, the granry all cool places. If you are there on a Saturday stop by ranger creek for one of their brewstillery tours from 3-5.

I agree.

Back