National beer day 2013 !!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just wanted to take a moment to wish all my brewing brothers and sisters a very happy national beer day. On April 7, 1933 president Roosevelt over turned prohibition and made it legal to make and sell beer as long as it was below 4.5 percent. Enjoy the holiday !!!!

But the law was messed up as written back then & took until Jimmy Carter signed it into law to add the words "& beer" to making it at home in 79. Someone left those words out of the written law back in 33 whether by design or oversight. Good thing we have better home brew though!!!!:tank::ban:

I didn't plan it this way, but I'll be brewing a Belgian table beer today, which should clock in right around 2.3%. So that's actually pretty appropriate for the occasion.

Opps again. Everyone can laugh, but I actually just wasn't thinking when I typed that. I do know that Teddy Roosevelt was only president until 1909.

And yes, I've also assumed that the 4.5% portion must have been changed so everyone is not making illegal beer today.

I hate to do a "Well, Actually....," but: Prohibition didn't end until December 5, 1933.

I do a "How to Get Started Home Brewing" presentation for libraries & public organizations and touch on Prohibition. Sorry!

JimmytheGeek said:
I hate to do a "Well, Actually....," but: Prohibition didn't end until December 5, 1933.

I do a "How to Get Started Home Brewing" presentation for libraries & public organizations and touch on Prohibition. Sorry!

Actually ..... You are half right..... It became lawful as of April 7 1933 BUT here's we're your right the 21st amendment was added December 5, 1933. So it became lawful or better put not a criminal offense with the restriction of a 4.5%abv today but became official law on the day you mention with the 21st amendment.

Regardless today is the national beer day.... Lets not split hairs...... Enjoy a beer and be a thankful we live in a time that we can drink outside a speakeasy.

Actually ..... You are half right..... It became lawful as of April 7 1933 BUT here's we're your right the 21st amendment was added December 5, 1933. So it became lawful or better put not a criminal offense with the restriction of a 4.5%abv today but became official law on the day you mention with the 21st amendment.

and it was "below 4%" not 4.5%

That it may have been ...... Didn't really mean to split hairs.... Just wanted to wish my fellow brewers a happy national beer day....I'm not a historian by any stretch so take my limited knowledge with a grain of salt.... All I do know is today is definitely the holiday.

Didn't know it was National Beer Day, but coincidentally I bottled an Irish Red today while drinking a homemade Porter today.

And don't forget the AHA Big Brew for National Homebrew Day coming up on May 4th!

Well actually, prohibition never happened, it was all a dream ;)

Happy national beer day everyone, Ive already had 2 fantastic brews this afternoon.

Back