My starter smells like eggs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Out of the 50 or so starters I've done, I don't remember one smelling like eggs..Didn't do anything different and I'm about ready to step it up tonight. Any concerns??

Probably not. What yeast did you use for the starter? Some strands give off more egg odor (sulfur) than others. Lager yeast can sometimes produce significant sulfur odor during fermentation.

Sulfur is a normal byproduct, it fades out of the finished product with a little bit of conditioning.

Sounds like you have a healthy starter.

Probably not. What yeast did you use for the starter? Some strands give off more egg odor (sulfur) than others. Lager yeast can sometimes produce significant sulfur odor during fermentation.

WL830 German lager..I didn't think it was an issue, But I thought I ask..I use this yeast a lot and never had this issue.

stirplate? I get a lot more funky smells from starters where I use the stirplate than when I just swirl them. They usually generate heat, which warms the starter more than normal. Some yeasts get pretty rough.

Bulls Beers said:
WL830 German lager..I didn't think it was an issue, But I thought I ask..I use this yeast a lot and never had this issue.

Ah, ze Germans. They are a smelly bunch.
But seriously, German yeast strains do produce more sulfur in my experience.

I have to agree with everyone else. The first time I used a lager strain (Budwar Czech Lager strain) I was also surprised at just how smelly they can get. (I had a pretty horrifically smelly cider, too.)

Adam

Back