230 Volt Digital Thermostat / Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schalk79

Reaction score
I've been looking at controls to upgrade our brewery...
At the moment everything is run manually.

Next step is to install temperature controls on the HLT and after that the MLT.

Has anyone worked with controls similar to the following:
http://za.rs-online.com/web/p/pid-temperature-controllers/0461244/

It seems as if the controllers have built-in relays, etc. to run everything at 230 Volts

I was actually going to ask a question very similar. I picked up 3 of Digital Display PID Temperature Controller SNR(1 Alarms) and the pin out for 3 and 4 are marked +/- for ssr. I wasn't sure if that was the power to trip the SSR or if it acted as a SSR in it's own right to power the element or pump or whatever. If it is just to trip the SSR, which I suspect, how many volts is it? I'd hate to blow the relay by pushing too much/the wrong kind of volts thru it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's father's day so I'm sure many folk are otherwise occupied. Love to know though if you find out something from the lads at work.

There should be a maximum watts or amps on the output of the ssr pins on the PID. The data sheet will tell you the absolute max output volts and amps for the SSR pins, along with duty cycle , and switching speed. I always use the 12 V rail to power the SSR's to switch the load on and off, and I switch the low voltage DC on the negative side to simplify wiring and to keep Pos and Neg well seperated. My SSR's are 2-32 VDC in and 40 A up to 380 VAC out, with zero crossing sensor. My REX C100's specify that the are low amp outputs so I assumed they wer for connection to an SSR rather than supplying the full SSR load. I had to hunt a bit but I finally found an english language datasheet that was readable.
WCB

I was actually going to ask a question very similar. I picked up 3 of Digital Display PID Temperature Controller SNR(1 Alarms) and the pin out for 3 and 4 are marked +/- for ssr. I wasn't sure if that was the power to trip the SSR or if it acted as a SSR in it's own right to power the element or pump or whatever. If it is just to trip the SSR, which I suspect, how many volts is it? I'd hate to blow the relay by pushing too much/the wrong kind of volts thru it.

It has to be control voltage for a SSR - if the controller had a internal SSR it would also have the SSR rating published AND would be wearing a healthy size heatsink. SSRs dissipate about 1 watt of heat for every amp they carry.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has to be control voltage for a SSR - if the controller had a internal SSR it would also have the SSR rating published AND would be wearing a healthy size heatsink. SSRs dissipate about 1 watt of heat for every amp they carry.

That was part of my reasoning. The heat sink alone for the 40a SSR I got from Auber is probable double the size of the entire PID so if it was really meant to regulate the power at that amperage it would have to be much beefier.

There should be a maximum watts or amps on the output of the ssr pins on the PID. The data sheet will tell you the absolute max output volts and amps for the SSR pins, along with duty cycle , and switching speed. I always use the 12 V rail to power the SSR's to switch the load on and off, and I switch the low voltage DC on the negative side to simplify wiring and to keep Pos and Neg well seperated. My SSR's are 2-32 VDC in and 40 A up to 380 VAC out, with zero crossing sensor. My REX C100's specify that the are low amp outputs so I assumed they wer for connection to an SSR rather than supplying the full SSR load. I had to hunt a bit but I finally found an english language datasheet that was readable.
WCB

This has been a problem with mine. The best documentation I've found for them is really the label on the side of the PID that tells you what each connector goes to/does. I knew that going in but the price was good so I thought I'd rely on the kindness of strangers to get me through.

I did manage to scrape together SOME kind of documentation online and I am pretty sure that the SSR output on the PID IS for activating a SSR rather than acting as an SSR.

I did manage to scrape together SOME kind of documentation online and I am pretty sure that the SSR output on the PID IS for activating a SSR rather than acting as an SSR.

Yes, the linked pdf on the page indicates a max load of 8 amp/250 v for the output, so I suppose an ssr would be required.

On his or mine? I didn't see a linked pdf on mine and the one on his was only in several european languages that dind't include english.

Back