Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
I've contacted a few of my local breweries about yeast and one of them got back to me yeaterday. They said they'd give me a whole growler full of their Award-Winning yeast for free. I just have to call them before I come over so they can get it ready for me. SCORE!

And I'm still waiting for a call from a response from a few other breweries!

My question is this:

If I'm not going to be brewing for a few weeks, can I just throw it in my fridge? Or would I wash it and seperate it into some baby food jars?

:mug:

If it is pure yeast then I would just refrigerate. If it is trub/yeast mix, I would wash and then split into smaller containers.

That is the coolest thing I've heard in a while. I thought that kind of stuff taboo, like asking the colonel for his spice list.
I tried to snag from an AB brewery when I was on a visit, they were cleaning out the beachwood chips from their secondary fermenter is what we call it. Anyway the chips were covered with yeast, I was gonna take one and see what I could get from it.
The security there is like the secret service, so they had me screamin' 'Don't taze me bro!', not really but long story short no yeasties for me.
You have given me a new mission in life, to collect yeast from craft breweries.

Yeah, it's the Tenaya Creek Brewery. They have some good brews. They have a couple seasonals that I really want to try!

But yeah, the guy was soo cool about it! What a cool guy!

I'm going to start barking up the trees at Terrapin Station brew co. in Athens Ga. Its a friendly company.

I went to the Ringwood brewery yesterday and picked up 200g of their yeast, a couple of weeks earlier I got some from the Hogs Back brewery. Generally commercial brewers will help out homebrewers as that's how a lot of them started out. I split it into sample tubes and make starters with it.

(you'll probably find lots of them that wont give any to homebrewers us Nottingham or US05)

That is awesome! I would just put it in the fridge and then make starters with smaller amounts so you can use it for numerous beers. I wonder what yeast they are using? Did they tell you what type of yeast or any idea of what is close too?

Yeah, you should mix some up in sterile 15% glycerol (volume/volume) and freeze those suckers, just in case something happens. Sounds like an awesome score though! Cheers!

It probably won't have any trub. at home our batches are small so the layer of yeast is too thin to just 'harvest' directly so we have to wash.

but as I understand it commercial breweries end up with 2-4" of a yeast layer on top of their trub, and that's where they pull the slurry from.

man I wish I had a local brewery...just a couple brew pubs that may not be willing to play nice.

Back