Temperature controller I found on ebay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizybrewer

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I couldnt find a thread on it. I am designing my fermentation chamber and found this controller on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Socket-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Aquarium-50C-/190631799179?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c628a698b Has anyone used this before? It seems to be the perfect solution to both heat and cool the chamber, and will handle up to 1200 watt, which is more than enough according to heaters and A/C's I found. I guess I am a little concerned because it is so cheap. If anyone has used this before, or I am missing something I would love to know. Thanks!

Nice little unit if you only needed to heat. I'm supposing that you're likely not able to set it to cool if you wanted that function.

Other than that limitation it's a cheap digital heater controller. And, there may be a way to adjust for cooling that is not mentioned in the ad. My experience is that many of those Chinese auctions are not 100% with their descriptions.

EDIT: I asked them if it can be changed to a cooling mode. We'll see what happens.

Im using the STC 1000 and am very happy with it, it has outputs for both heat and cold. You can find them on ebay but make sure you get the 110 version. Some sellers send you one depending on the voltage the country it was ordered from.

Dan

Looks to me like it is not a dual stage controller. From the description, it seems like it can only be used for heating. Somebody else on here found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/110V-AC-Dig...597?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab259d50d on Ebay and it looks like another cheap alternative. You'll have to wire it yourself though.

This controller in the link is what a ton of us have bought and use for our kegerators/keezers/ferm chambers. I have ZERO electrical knowledge and was able to build it using the DIY on this forum in about 2 hours. Works perfectly and has functions for both heat and cooling.

I had looked at the OP's controller too (since no work was required)... but in the end I wasn't sure if it can activate for rising temperatures (for cooling)... plus it did not have delay-protection (say, if I set the difference range too narrow and/or somehow the fridge door wasn't closed properly).

For the STC-1000, instead of a project box, I found some cigar-box type wooden boxes at the local dollar store. Think that will work.

Ok, I see that it says on heating. I guess i was confused by the 2 outlets. It would be nice to have something off the shelf like this.

Just bought the stc-1000 on eBay. Check out this video on the how to build. Easy to understand and follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I-iwFLykxs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

for the people who wire this controller into the collar on the keezer, where do you put your wires?

Do you still use a project box or are you just running the wires inside the freezer? I would be worried about condensation.

Can someone who has this mounted on the collar please post a pic? thanks

Just finished mine tonight. Not too shabby. Added some labels for heat and cool and a conversion chart to go from Celsius to Fahrenheit on the side. Works great!!!

image-1492620063.jpg

image-2249561010.jpg

Is there a written list of the extra parts needed? I'm about to purchase this setup for my ferm chamber.

I just did this build this past weekend and it was a breeze. The youtube video makes it very simple, and he shows you all the parts you'll need. I believe they are a project box from radio shack, an electrical cord with bare ends, I bought some 16 gauge wire to do the wiring inside the box, but in the video he cuts the electrical cord and uses the extra cord to do all the wiring. You'll need an electrical outlet, cover, electrical tape and wire nuts. I think that's it, but I would watch the video before you go out and buy anything.

Very cool, thanks. I just purchased the stc-1000 and I can't wait to get this going. Next up, going to order the brewers edge space heater from Williams brewing for my heating element inside the ferm chamber. Woohoo for any kind of beer, any time of year!

Just got mine all wired and plugged together! Super excited about this. Thanks to everyone for sharing the information needed to do it!

Back