Basement temp yields 64 degree fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMoreBeers

Reaction score
This time of year my basement gives me about a 64.6 degree temp taken in my thermowell on a 10 gallon batch. I have considered heating things up to closer to 70... Will the benefits be worth the effort?

Right now I have an ipa with while labs CA Ale and I also am doing a Xmas ale and porter both with white labs London ale

My typical temp control consists of what ever the ambient temp it in my basement but I am starting to think about getting a heat wrap and controller for the winter season.

64.6 sounds like an absolutly perfect temperature to brew ales! I love the winter time for fermenting, because it's easier to keep things from getting too warm in the basement. Just keep the fermenter up off the floor, and you will get great beers at 64.6!

Yeah, that's a great temp. I like to use WLP002 around 64-66. Fermentation temp will be a bit over ambient. Proper pitching rates and aeration will provide insurance.

That said, I do make a point of warming my beers up to 68 after the bulk of the fermentation is done before cold crashing.

Thanks for setting me straight. I keep hearing folks say that one needs temp control to get their beers to the next level... I guess they mean chilling in the summer, not warming in the winter. Thanks for keeping me straight.

Thanks for setting me straight. I keep hearing folks say that one needs temp control to get their beers to the next level... I guess they mean chilling in the summer, not warming in the winter. Thanks for keeping me straight.

Of all the things I've done, building a fermentation chamber made a huge leap in my beer quality. I just held a lager at 50F for 18 days with great results. I rank it up there with proper sanitation and yeast starters.

I ferment just about everything at 62-64. Unfortunately I have to use a fridge to hold my wort at that temp.

Sounds like the perfect setup. When I've made lagers, it has been in the winter. The brewery sits at 50-55F, the house at 62F and the garage is normally around freezing. I do have a fermentation chamber, but only use it in the summer.

Many ale yeasts start getting strange around 70F. Belgians, on the other hand, always ferment warm.

Back