Question on John Palmer book

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasmeyer

Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on adding the second half of extract right before knockout as John Palmer suggests in his book? I did it both ways on my last 2 batches of similar pale ales and didn't notice anything different. What should be expected if this is done?

your hop utilization rate changes and your beer is lighter in color from fewer darkening (malliard) reactions from an extended boil.

also hit the introductions thread and and intro yourself but welcome to the forum
where at in michigan are you?

Ususally you get a little better hops utilization (ie higher IBU's) beacuse the thinner wort can isomerize more aplha acids.

As said above, the color is slightly lighter, but i've only noticed that with LME and not DME.

Unless I misunderstood Palmers explaination in his book , this method of adding the second half of extract at the end of the boil, sounds like it will lower the gravity of the beer, is this true?

Nope. It will not lower the gravity. It will lighten the color.

The gravity is a function of sugars dissolved in the water.

What late addition does is prevent darkening of the wort, like eriktlupus said, by reducing the mallard duck reactions. :)) )

It will also help slightly boost hop bitterness.

IIRC, and just because it hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread - he recommends that when doing partial boils; not for full boils. the point is to get the gravity during a partial boil to be more or less what it would be for a full boil (to avoid caramelization, have normal hop utilization, etc)

Latest posts

Back