Ski Season is Here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker36

Reaction score
Snowing up in the mountains now and finally starting to cool down. Breck and Keystone open tomorrow, A-Basin and Loveland have been open for weeks. Going up to log day #1 today:rockin:

Anyone else shred the gnar - one board or two?

One or two, whatever catches my fancy on a given day. Unfortunately I don't live near mountains (or even hills) so I'm still looking at leaves.

Been on one board since I was sixteen, and never looked back. Back then the only option was the Burton Backcountry.

The Mt. Hood resorts have enough pow to open, but it started raining up there again today...probably another few weeks for us. Traditional opening is usually a week or so before Thanksgiving.

I'm gonna catch my first day of the season this weekend, probably Breck or Keystone depending on who has more open. May even stay at the condo I have in Dillon (rental with 11 other people...) friday night.

I mostly Tele, but I may buy an AT setup soon (gotta stay away from that Colo. Ski and Golf sale this weekend...), I also snowboard, but rarely...

not sure if my knees can hold up to the 50+ days I hope to get in this season on Tele's.

2 boards, then graduated to 1.

Then the next summer completely BLEW my right knee & the orthopedic guy shakes his head everytime I ask..... thats been geez... 7 years now. I may try it again this winter.

Gotta love eastern skiing. Slush in the day & ICE at night.

Zac

one board, here. I've got Mt. Batchelor about 2.5 hours away. And there's Willamette Pass and Hoodoo for quickie runs. Only about an hour up to either one. They're just not as fun as Batchelor.

2 for me since I was five. I have often thought of giving up everything just to ski everyday, and then remember I need to pay bills. I wish I was at Copper right now!

Iv'e been on two boards since I was about 4 years old and one board since 7th grade. To me it depends on the day if I will ski or snowboard. I did ski race for many years of my youth and I do currently coach a Highschool ski team but i still get out on my board when I get a chance.

Two planker here. Tried one plank back when I was young and foolish (now I'm just foolish) and it never really hooked me - eastern ice and snowboards just weren't that appealing! :D

Stowe should be open for turkey day - they are blowing snow like crazy

Two planker here. Tried one plank back when I was young and foolish (now I'm just foolish) and it never really hooked me - eastern ice and snowboards just weren't that appealing! :D

Stowe should be open for turkey day - they are blowing snow like crazy

Just saw the new Warren Miller last night, pretty good looking segment out of Okemo of all places

Two sticks under my feet too. I made a try at one a while back, but just couldn't get used to having my feet locked in the same position.

Used to do a fair bit of backcountry AT, but gave it up when my daughter was born -- she doesn't need to lose her dad under an avalanche. She's going to get her first days on skis this winter, so I'll be on a lot of groomed stuff this year.

So... What's the difference between snowboards and vacuums?

The dirtbag is attached differently.

*ducks*

Logging day three up in the mountains today. Anybody else getting out?

Got day #2 at A-basin saturday, should have 5 by the end of Nov. Gonna try to get to 50 this year...two solid weeks around x-mas and new years, and the rental condo I am in on in Dillon should help :ban:

two boards for me since 4th grade. After a snowboarder broke my leg on Mt. Hood I have had a hard time convincing myself to board.

Most of the snow we did have on Mt. has melted away. Hoping to get started after Thanksgiving but we'll see.

pretty good looking segment out of Okemo of all places

Easy now, us Vermonters tend to be rather proud of our east coast scratch :)

I dont think Ill be able to log any days until after exams are over, maybe get a few in during break when Im back in VT:rockin:

Easy now, us Vermonters tend to be rather proud of our east coast scratch :)

I dont think Ill be able to log any days until after exams are over, maybe get a few in during break when Im back in VT:rockin:

I'm an east coast guy originally, too, just was never a fan of Okemo. I was more expecting Stowe or Mad River to show up

yeah, waist-deep bottomless pow at Alta on 11/5-11/6. Literally, classic Utah day. Lake effect fire-hosed the mountains some 46" in 48hr. I love that lake.

69" of snow for the season...not bad having over 10% average snowfall already for a season that doesn't open for another week. Cross your fingers that it keeps dumping for all of us. :)

yeah, waist-deep bottomless pow at Alta on 11/5-11/6. Literally, classic Utah day. Lake effect fire-hosed the mountains some 46" in 48hr. I love that lake.

69" of snow for the season...not bad having over 10% average snowfall already for a season that doesn't open for another week. Cross your fingers that it keeps dumping for all of us. :)

That is going to set up some really dangerous avalanche conditions if it warms up at all before the actual snow comes....early season snow is a wolf in sheeps clothing, while I love it...causes problems.

Fly fishing the Blue today, ski Breck tomorrow? Ya, Colorado is pretty awesome

I'm not a skier or snowboarder. In fact I've never tried either. But I love sitting around the lodge and taking in the sights. My gf and I are headed up to Lake placid next month for a relaxing weekend. We might go ice skating or even try bobsledding. We'll be watching the skiers from the warmth of the fire :D

Getting my skis sharpened today hitting the slopes for the first time this year on friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and ski season is over for me...tore a bunch of ligaments in my foot on wednesday and had surgery on friday. Crutches for the next 3 months, and physical therapy for months afterward...awesome!

and ski season is over for me...tore a bunch of ligaments in my foot on wednesday and had surgery on friday. Crutches for the next 3 months, and physical therapy for months afterward...awesome!

You don't need a foot to ski. Just buckle your boot up nice and tight and off you go:rockin:

Seriously, though, that sucks. My buddy blew out his knee at 36hours last year and missed all of last season and the first half of this

One board for life! It has been abnormally cold here, so the "mountains" are opening sooner than usual. Hopefully the cold will stay and we won't be forced to ride ice, slush, or snirt. I could use some fresh powder in my life...

More white stuff tomorrow. Finally getting back up after tearing my edge out and fighting with the repair shop for two weeks over getting it fixed.

One board. Picked up snowboarding 4 years ago :fro:.

Just recently got back from logging 2 days in Snowshoe, WV. Pretty good conditions considering they had a warm spell before we got there. Snowboard for 6-8 hours, then drink it up in the evening. Gooood times. :tank:

To top it all off. I got home and my first homebrew attempt was ready to chill and serve. It was awesome. Now I'm purchasing stuff for Batch #2 :ban:.

:rockin:

Back