Caribou Slobber fermentation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jobe5217

Reaction score
I don't have the gravity tester and I am trying to figure out how much time to allow the beer to ferment. I have a primary and secondary fermenter and I was thinking of two weeks for each plus two weeks in the bottles to condition.

Would it be too short to do one week primary and two week secondary? How is the primary fermentation different from secondary? I had thought that the secondary was more of a "conditioning" time than actual fermenting. That makes me think that I should keep each stage at two weeks.

Any tips on fermenting time?

Just do 3-4 weeks in primary. That is more than enough time for fermentation and clearing. It is also long enough (even for the slowest shipping method) to receive your hydrometer order. :)

I'm brewing some Caribou right now, also. The instructions call for 1-2 weeks in the primary, 1-2 weeks in secondary, and another 1-2 weeks in the bottle.

I don't have the gravity tester and I am trying to figure out how much time to allow the beer to ferment. I have a primary and secondary fermenter and I was thinking of two weeks for each plus two weeks in the bottles to condition.

Would it be too short to do one week primary and two week secondary? How is the primary fermentation different from secondary? I had thought that the secondary was more of a "conditioning" time than actual fermenting. That makes me think that I should keep each stage at two weeks.

Any tips on fermenting time?

If you can't check gravity I would leave it in the primary for 3 weeks and not do a secondary, but I don't do a secondary for anything anyway. In your case you want to make sure it is completely fermented and the best way to do that is to leave it in the primary.

Your beer won't be completely conditioned in the bottle for at least 3 weeks, or at least according to the standard advice I've seen here.

The difference between a primary and secondary is that fermentation happens in the primary and then you can either allow it to continue to condition in the primary or transfer it to a secondary and allow it to condition there. The secondary is not a fermentation vessel. Some people call the secondary a "bright tank" as it is used to give the beer time to clear before bottling or kegging.

I left my Caribou Slobber in primary for two weeks, secondary for four, cold crashed then kegged. It was a fine product for my first beer.

Just do 3-4 weeks in primary. That is more than enough time for fermentation and clearing. It is also long enough (even for the slowest shipping method) to receive your hydrometer order. :)

+1
Get a hydrometer:D

3 weeks primary and then to the bottling bucket is perfectly fine for a brown ale like this. No need at all to secondary (and the increased risk of oxidation/infection).

If you are in pursuit of clarity, cold crash it 4-5 days @ 35-40*F after the 3 weeks is done.

Get a hydrometer and leave in primary for 3 weeks. My secondary carboy has been used once..... as a fermenter. :drunk:

Thanks for the good info guys. I'm hearing a lot of advice to skip the secondary here but elsewhere some say that it is beneficial. I am anxious to try both ways, so far it just seems like personal preference with no clear advantage either way.

So a hydrometer is really worth it? How exactly do you cold crash?

I skipped secondary, but also left in primary for two months( only bc life got in the way!). Beer turned out great tho!

Jobe5217 said:
Thanks for the good info guys. I'm hearing a lot of advice to skip the secondary here but elsewhere some say that it is beneficial. I am anxious to try both ways, so far it just seems like personal preference with no clear advantage either way.

First paragraph, you are absolutely correct.

Hydrometer is the most important thing toucan but that doesn't directly produce something. (Its like an administrative assistant - never produced a product, but they keep the wheels of a corporation moving forward.

Cold crashing is holding at a cold temp to clear a beer. Just stick it in a fridge if you have one. Ice baths also work, but require more attention. Other methods are fining agents like whirlfloc, Irish moss, and gelatin.

Absolutely need a hydrometer, otherwise you haven't ability to figure out what your beer and fermentation are doing!

A hydrometer is worth it so you can see when you beer is indeed finished fermentation. Also, you can find out your beer's alcohol content this way.

Many on here do not do a secondary fermentation. I however do. I have seen marked improvements in my beers since I started using a secondary. They are crystal clear, have very little junk at the bottom of my bottles and my beers taste better. Some of this could be attributed to the fact that I haven't even been brewing for a year yet so I am rather new and learning more with each brew, but I do think that the secondary has helped. I see no issues with aeration if use an auto-siphon and don't splash the beer. Just my 2 cents.

BonzoAPD said:
A hydrometer is worth it so you can see when you beer is indeed finished fermentation. Also, you can find out your beer's alcohol content this way.

Many on here do not do a secondary fermentation. I however do. I have seen marked improvements in my beers since I started using a secondary. They are crystal clear, have very little junk at the bottom of my bottles and my beers taste better. Some of this could be attributed to the fact that I haven't even been brewing for a year yet so I am rather new and learning more with each brew, but I do think that the secondary has helped. I see no issues with aeration if use an auto-siphon and don't splash the beer. Just my 2 cents.

+1 on both points. A hydrometer is pretty critical if you want to know alcohol content, efficiency, and to ensure fermentation is complete.

And a secondary is entirely optional. Most people say anything you can do in a secondary you could also do in a primary. Maybe they are right. But saying that you are going to oxidize or infect your beer is a load of crap. Sanitize thoroughly and transfer with a siphon to avoid splashing. No infection, no oxidation.

I did an all grain version of this, and had it into my keg within two weeks. Let it sit in the keg for one week, then put it on the gas and carbed up within another week. All in all, 4 weeks, and its tasting GREAT! Actually had a side by side with the real thing, and both my buddy and I thought my version tasted better.

So, there ya go. 4 weeks, grain to glass for an excellent end product.

My feeling on my personal experience was that this beer fermented out in 5 days or less.

Oh, did NOT secondary this at all... I never do that anymore. Since there are no dry hops, not even sure why you'd consider a secondary. Also, my beer came out VERY clear. I will try to post up a pic later tonight when its Hoppy Hour ( that is, if I can reduce the over carb in the Keg, which I accidentally overcarbed this weekend..., faulty regulator I think)

freisste said:
+1 on both points. A hydrometer is pretty critical if you want to know alcohol content, efficiency, and to ensure fermentation is complete.

And a secondary is entirely optional. Most people say anything you can do in a secondary you could also do in a primary. Maybe they are right. But saying that you are going to oxidize or infect your beer is a load of crap. Sanitize thoroughly and transfer with a siphon to avoid splashing. No infection, no oxidation.

Thanks!

arborman said:
I did an all grain version of this, and had it into my keg within two weeks. Let it sit in the keg for one week, then put it on the gas and carbed up within another week. All in all, 4 weeks, and its tasting GREAT! Actually had a side by side with the real thing, and both my buddy and I thought my version tasted better.

So, there ya go. 4 weeks, grain to glass for an excellent end product.

My feeling on my personal experience was that this beer fermented out in 5 days or less.

Oh, did NOT secondary this at all... I never do that anymore. Since there are no dry hops, not even sure why you'd consider a secondary. Also, my beer came out VERY clear. I will try to post up a pic later tonight when its Hoppy Hour ( that is, if I can reduce the over carb in the Keg, which I accidentally overcarbed this weekend..., faulty regulator I think)

I had the same experience. Primary was done in five to six days. I actually just bottled a batch of this tonight after two weeks. My FG was set and it tasted very nice. I figure with some bottle conditioning it will get even better.

Secondary came with my Northern Brewer starter kit. I can see that it will be handy for other things, fruit/dry hop/ adds etc.

So a hydrometer is really worth it?

That's a little like asking if a guitar is important to becoming a guitarist.

Yes. A hydrometer is an essential tool for brewing beer. Considering they cost $5, there's no reason not to own one.

I appreciate all the info. I think I will try using the secondary since I paid for the damn thing! In the future though, I will try primary only as well.

Jobe5217 said:
I appreciate all the info. I think I will try using the secondary since I paid for the damn thing! In the future though, I will try primary only as well.

Yep, my first beer ever ( well, after a 20 year break) was a moose drool clone from northern, along with the deluxe kit. Came with the secondary, and the instructions told me to use it. So I did.

I poured out most of that batch, it was very bad beer. Sure, my brew steps were not perfect, but pretty sure I messed up on the transfer to secondary and oxidized my batch. It got worse with time.

I'd recommend ditching the secondary. You could always use it to make apfelwein, that's what I'm doing with mine now :)

Like I mentioned: my last batch which I'm drinking now is an all grain version, and its cloned and clear. My first batch was extract with secondary and I dumped it. That's the best advice I've learned on these forums so far: scrap the secondary. I just dryhopped two batches yesterday, both in primaries. Less work, better beer, IMHO

Oh don't worry, I'm sure you'll use the secondary eventually (dryhopping, oak chips, etc). You just don't need to for this batch. But if you're bound and determined to then, by all means, do so. I left the Caribou Slobber in primary for 3 weeks, bottle for 2, still have a few bottles left and it ages well. It was great from the start though also.

Latest posts

Back