priming and bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldf150

Reaction score
I have a 2 gallon batch of apple cider, in the primary 10 days. It is simply Tree Top apple juice and Lalvin D47 yeast. It had vigorous bubbling for 5 or 6 days, and now has tapered off to none at all. I am ready to bottle it, and want it dry and fizzy. So here is my question: Can I just add 1.5 oz dextrose, bottle and wait for carbonation? Other suggestions?

Pretty much! But take a hydrometer reading to be sure it's completely done fermenting before bottling, if the gravity is constant over the course of a few days, you're good to go. Fermentation rarely just stops in my experience, but slowly peters out, leaving the potential for bottle bombs.

Pretty much! But take a hydrometer reading to be sure it's completely done fermenting before bottling, if the gravity is constant over the course of a few days, you're good to go. Fermentation rarely just stops in my experience, but slowly peters out, leaving the potential for bottle bombs.

Thanks! I was thinking about trying the hot water pasteurization on the sticky above, opening a bottle every day or two until I get the right fizz, then heating it in water. Thanks again!!

Thanks! I was thinking about trying the hot water pasteurization on the sticky above, opening a bottle every day or two until I get the right fizz, then heating it in water. Thanks again!!

I've read the sticky but still don't get the requirement of pasteurizing it once it's carbed.

What's the difference vs. bottling beer?

It's only a requirement if you want a cider with some residual sugar, for a dry cider, you can just prime and bottle like a beer, who's complex sugars are undigested by yeast and therefor leave beer naturally sweet.

Why pasteurize? Because at this point, you have a bottle of sparkling cider, with some residual fruit sugar left and yeast that is still working. If you just leave it be, you will likely end up with shrapnel rather than delicious sparkling cider. By gently heating the bottles, you will finish-off our yeast friends - they've done their job, they've performed admirably, but its time to say goodbye.t

It's only a requirement if you want a cider with some residual sugar, for a dry cider, you can just prime and bottle like a beer, who's complex sugars are undigested by yeast and therefor leave beer naturally sweet.

Thanks LeB. That was my reasoning too.

LeBreton said:

Thanks, that makes good sense. Pasteurize for a sweet cider, don't for a dry one.

If you pasteaurize in bottles 170 water bath, turn off the burner, add the bottles. Remove after 10 min. Bottle temp internal will have achieved 145 + or - The thread that said 190 left me with bombs every time on lightly carbonated bottles

Bottling day. Two cases primed Pom-apple cider.

image-4106401670.jpg

If you pasteaurize in bottles 170 water bath, turn off the burner, add the bottles. Remove after 10 min. Bottle temp internal will have achieved 145 + or - The thread that said 190 left me with bombs every time on lightly carbonated bottles

OK. 170* it is.

Back