Long White Wine Primary Ferm.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pharmhouse

Reaction score
Whoops! I was cleaning out my basement and I found a bucket of sauvignon blanc (primary container) from April of 2012!

I have several batches of wine and beer going down there, and this one completely got away from me...!

I've let wine batches go for weeks or an extra month or two (or three) during certain stages (usually later stages), but I've never let a batch sit in primary for this long... It smelled a little off, but I've learned that it usually smells weird during winemaking.. Gravity was at .0992.

I racked to secondary (tried to avoid sediment at the bottom on the bucket) and I'm going to go ahead with the process later this week.

Just curious if anyone has experience with a batch that sat this long in primary? Is the taste going to suffer? I might try to make a champagne with this.

So I see autolysis can occur from a long primary. I also see that this may be beneficial during champagne making..?

So I see autolysis can occur from a long primary. I also see that this may be beneficial during champagne making..?

Sorry Pharmhouse, just saw this thread!

Wow, that's... a long time on the lees. Yes you have had autolysis for sure, but how bad is the taint? Taste will be your best guide. How is it?

Champagne is a possibility, but blending I would not do till you get a taste.

Let me know!

Back