Can i tell if my hop pellets are ok before using?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarnieBrew

Reaction score
Hey all, i'm planning to brew my first ever extract/partial today after a few very successful brews with kits.

The recipe calls for various additions of Amarillo during the boil...i have two packs of Amarillo hop pellets that I bought from different places at different times. I'm a little concerned about the freshness of the 2nd pack...it's extremely well packaged in thick plastic with every last little bit of air sucked out of it...but i'm not sure they've been kept cold since packaging.

When i'm ready to brew, i'll open both packs to have a smell, but having never used my own hops before, i'm not sure what to expect. Should it be obvious to the nose if my hops are 'off'?

Vacuum packed, fairly new, don't sweat it, and use them. Pellets keep better than leaf anyway.

I think cheesy is a term some have used to describe stale hops. I don't think I have had any that bad in many years of brewing.

Thanks. Just opened them now and both packets smell the same, very strong floral/plant aroma, so I reckon they're all ok.

Back