Please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone, trying to drill out 1 1/4" holes for my heating elements. My new step drill bit is toast. I was even using cutting oil. Any help? or advise on what to use??

I have an air grinder that I used to grind the metal down with just to thin it out so the step bit didnt have to work so hard.

thanks, called my local homebrew shop... they are going to plasma cut the hole out and tig weld the large nut I got from bargain fittings for my elements. I guess I will just screw them in to the welded nut. Sound like it would work??

Might be slightly cheaper to get a punch set from harbor freight tools. They have a 20$(?) punch set with a punch slightly larger than 1 1/4.

Quality is bad. My small punch broke. But the large one held up to one use.

That being said. Welding the nut on sounds like a much better solution.

thanks everyone... my buddy has a nice 1 1/4" hole saw he is going to give that a go on his big Delta press. If not I'm just going to have the nut welded on. thanks! you guys rock as usual!

Back