First Wort Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smyrnaquince

Reaction score
Please help me understand First Wort Hopping (FWH). If I put hops in at 60 and boil them for an hour, the flavor and aroma get boiled away and all I get is bitterness. But, if I put the hops in before bringing the wort to a boil, then boil for an hour, I get flavor and and aroma as well as bitterness?

Why don't the flavor and aroma get boiled away with FHW the same as they do with hops @60?

They do. Some people feel that FWH changes the characteristics of the bittering, but extensive testing by a member of OBC convinced me that it is a waste of hops.

I haven't tried it myself, mostly because I saw an interview or something with either Denny Conn or Charlie Papazian (sorry, can't remember specifics), but at at any rate, the gist of the story was that he did detect a minute difference, but not much. Now there are a few brewers that swear by it. I think like anything, it depends on what you perceive.

Back