Farro as an ingredient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being that Farro is an ancient grain, has anyone seen or used this as an ingredient?

I malt my own farro or Emmer as I know it as. I have brewed one beer already but will brew my next beer with it this weekend. The beer was quite popular with those that tasted it last time, and will be better this time as I got better qalety malt this time. farro is quite aromatic and I lowe bread baked with it.

30% emmer malt (farro) with husk
40% weet malt
30% pale ale malt
(all the malt i use here is malted at home)

2 aditions of Tettnang 15grams @ 60 min and 15 @ 20 min

I do a protein rest and a low temp sacarification rest

and I use a weizen yeast.

The farro will perhaps ad some tanins so you could beat of some of the hulls in a foodprossesor. I think its also posible to brew with just farro but it will be more like wine because of the tanins in all the hulls.

Does it contribute anything such as body, head retention, color, etc...? Or do you treat it like any other malt? How do you do your malting?

I do not know enough to say what it contributes yet, other than flavor and ferment-able sugar, to me those are the key factors. the last beer was like a meal, tasty and filling. But I did a lousy job malting the Emmer/farro last time, the grains was very unevenly modified. This time I introduced oxygen from a small aquarium pump in the steep water before sprouting, and the grains sprouted evenly and malted very well.

I floor malt in a large flat wooden tray with separate chambers to take different grains at the same time. and can malt either 8-12 kilos of one type of grain or 3 different types of grain. wood of course has some downsides but also some benefits, I make sure that no molds or bugs start growing in the wood between malting sessions. because there will often be nasty things appearing in the grain, like fusarium and ergot and different bacteria. especially if the growing season of that year was very humid, this is why there is sometimes malt shortages in the large scale brewing world. I just lost a batch of wheat malt to fusarium, it was either an error during malting or the grains simply was infected by to large amounts of micro organisms. So an important steep in malting is inspecting the grains and sorting away bad seeds, both before the steep and during malting.

when malted and modified, I dry the malt for two days with slightly heated air, below 25*C and gradually race the temperature as the grains gets dryer to about 60* during the last few hours until the grains are crisp. and then I kiln the malt in a regular electric stove between 80*C and 105 for darker malt fore 7- 10 hours. I usually make some crystal malt of every grain but have not done this with farro. most is made like pale malt and sometimes something close to munchner malt. I have malted rye, wheat, spelt and barley. and will try einkorn and oaths when I can get some that is suitable to be malted.

Back